• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Sport 30% Edge 540 Pete Marshall Plans with Laser Cut Short Kit

Bluepilot2003

70cc twin V2
Hi all,

This is my first buld thread. I do have 5 kits under my belt. This will be my first short kit and first giant scale/gas airplane. Thanks Chris for finding this for me. It looks like it will be amazing when I get her done. Thanks Rob for making the short kit for me.

I currently do no thave a building table good enough for this build so I will need to make one of those as well. I am planning a hollow core door with ceiling tiles as the building surface. The last week of the month, I plan on actually building the table. Pictures to follow. Here is the progress so far on this project...

Plans printed from FedEx: $83 with military discount
Ceiling tiles ordered from Amazon using reward point:)

I have a pretty good LHS to use for resources on this build, so that part of this process should be exciting and easier than I am used to. And as I am in Tucson, weekends are meant for flying! So this will be a night build pretty much exclusively.

Attached are pictures of of my current work station and of what I have ready for this build. image.jpg image.jpg

New to GSN!
I to will be following your build, also have a short kit from Rob. So please lots of pictures.

Cheers Don

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Just a suggestion....Get some sheet rock "gypsum board" to cut to size and lay it over the hollow core door. Makes a nice flat surface that wont sag and you can still push pins in it. Best with your build. I love the EDGE.

Bluepilot2003

70cc twin V2
49Dimes, I will keep that in mind. I will try these ceiling tiles out to see how they do. They were dirt cheap and looks like pins will hold well with them. If they don't work out, I will check out the gypsum.

I do need to go through the plans and figure out how much square stock and sheeting I will need to finish this thing. The designer kept stuff simple, so it looks like mostly 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 inch stock and 1/8 or 3/32 sheeting. It will be interesting to see how much that part will cost!

Bluepilot2003

70cc twin V2
I was doing a little research today for an engine. I was originally planning on putting a DA-70 in this bird, but it looks like it will stick out both sides of the cowl about 3/8 in on each side. I am no master of flying that needs the extreme power of the 70... How cheesy would it look with the engine sticking out? Otherwise I would go for the economical 50 since the 60 is known for vibrating a lot. Thoughts?

SleepyC

150cc
Estimate the weight. I have had 18 lb planes with a well worn in DA-50 and it had plenty of power for 3D.

BalsaDust

49Dimes, I will keep that in mind. I will try these ceiling tiles out to see how they do. They were dirt cheap and looks like pins will hold well with them. If they don't work out, I will check out the gypsum.

I do need to go through the plans and figure out how much square stock and sheeting I will need to finish this thing. The designer kept stuff simple, so it looks like mostly 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 inch stock and 1/8 or 3/32 sheeting. It will be interesting to see how much that part will cost!

I placed two seperate orders through nationalbalsa and I had to get the stuff to cut everything as I didn't get a short kit from rob when I started my cap232 from Petes plans. I want to say I was in it for around $400 total so you should be able to come in far less. A buddy over on the ProBro site has been ordering his balsa through towerhobbies. He uses his super savers discount plus waits till they have the sales where you get so much off a certain amount purchased and he has gotten it really cheap.
Can't wait to see it come together.