• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

30% Pilot Carbon EDGE Build & Discussion

bruceman

50cc
This thread has been started to share the build details and discuss specific elements of the 30% Pilot Carbon EDGE

kennet edge.jpg

Attachments

• EDGE540.jpg
    EDGE540.jpg
    635.5 KB · Views: 517
Last edited by a moderator:

bruceman

50cc
OK guy's here we go, lets start with an equipment list, this will provide the exact components used to build the Carbon EDGE.
1) Pilot RC 30% EDGE 540 airframe
2) DA60 Engine & Ignition
3) DA Header, 1.25" drop, Prowflow medium size canister
4) Blazing star 1.25" engine mount
5) 4titude 16 oz. gas and smoke tank
6) Sullivan skywriter smoke pump
7) Redwing RC "orange" power box
8) 4- 2700MAH (7.4 volt) 2 cell Fromeco batteries
9) Taildragger RC single rudder tray (carbon fiber)
10) Redwing RC carbon fiber servo arms and aluminum spools
11) Smartfly Ignition voltage regulator
12) 5- Hitec HS7954SH servos for control surfaces
13) 1-Hitec HS635HB throttle servo
14) spot on 4" "flywheelz" aluminum hub wheels
15) 2- "Miracle" 2 switch / with fuel dot
16) 24X9 Carbon Fiber Prop (Redwing RC)

This is a good start, there are some other trinkets along the way that I'll provide info for.

bruceman

50cc
Next, All Pilot RC planes come with the firewall of the motor box un-mounted. Two aluminum "L" brackets are provided for mounting. I found that the firewall mounting is rock solid using the aluminum brackets. You must set the vertical and lateral thrust angles yourself. I used 2 degrees up thrust, 3 degrees right lateral thrust for a starting point. As the plane flies today, this was perfect. I used a Hanger 9 digital incidence meter to set the thrust lines. The hanger 9 meter makes this chore extremely easy. Firewall depth for correct spinner gap is likely to change from plane to plane and the type of engine you use. Careful cowl length measurements and overall stack up measurements of the engine / engine mounting are critical to the finished product. I recommend that you figure slightly short of what you believe to be perfect 1/8" spinner gap then make a prop spacer to go behind the spinner in final assembly to optimize spinner gap. I'll take some pictures to show you how the EDGE is set up. If done correctly, the engine mounting and thrust incidences are bullet proof. You will explode the plane before the firewall will let go.