• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

30cc airframe electric motor mounting concern

Rich B

50cc
Does this look strong/safe enough for a 8S/10S setup with around 3000 watts max on a 30cc airframe?

Hardware used:
6mm x 100mm socket head bolts
Nylon Spacers 3/16" wall (2 3/4" total length stand offs)
6mm nylon locking nuts
washers for the 6mm bolts

20150109_123938.jpg20150109_123823.jpg

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
TO be honest the nylon spacers concern me but I don't fly electrics that large just GAS GAS GAS.... [MENTION=271]Enterprise[/MENTION] what do you think?

Capt.Roll

70cc twin V2
If it was my setup, I'd sandwich the firewall with oversized flat washers for each bolt to help spread the load over a larger area. Maybe even as large as fender washers with the appropriate ID for the bolts. It may not even hurt to "harden" the ply with some CA.

Keep an eye on the nylon spacers as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Capt.Roll

70cc twin V2
LOL.........I have a Tacon 160 on my Aerobeez Yak 54, it pumps out over 3000 watts. I'm not using any nylon spacers; I think I have the motor spaced out around 2.75 to 3 inches as well.

Nylon is better than wood spacers. I agree that washers, especially on th front of the firewall are a good idea. The point of the spacer is to not compress. Wood certainly compresses. Electrics are subject to different forces than the gasser. The main week point is the length of the total structure and the twisting forces applied to it. A reinforced e-box is better as it shares the load across the total structure.

This will work, just watch it. After putting washers in, maybe double nut the bolts.

Rich B

50cc
I understand the pillar design using large washers. I do not have the room inside to use large washers, I had to remove material from the wedging just to get the smaller washers and nuts on. If you look at the outside top section of the motor box you can see the nylon spacers are already touching the top of the overhang. I am not sure what else I could do to the stand offs to make them strong if that is the issue here.

Bloosee

70cc twin V2
Does this look strong/safe enough for a 8S/10S setup with around 3000 watts max on a 30cc airframe?

Hardware used:
6mm x 100mm socket head bolts
Nylon Spacers 3/16" wall (2 3/4" total length stand offs)
6mm nylon locking nuts
washers for the 6mm bolts

Order a set of custom standoffs, they excellent, they spread the load, are strong and require no nuts. http://www.customstandoffs.com/ Just email him with what you want, it will probably come in the $35-40 dollar range, good money spend for the piece of mind. He will also include larger washers for the back of the firewall.

z71f.jpg