• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

35CC 3D Plane

Abrams

50cc
I'm finally ready to pull the trigger on my first serious 3D airframe. I was looking very seriously at the Volex with a 20cc DLE. I was ready to pull the trigger and a friend who has one said the plane works with the 20cc DLE, but it's much better with the 30cc. I've got the bowman ring for the 20cc. I could put together a decent plane, but I really like the DLE 35-RA.

That said, I've kind of had my eye on the 71" AJ Slick for a while, but I want to get an opinion from the guys that fly 3DHS planes. I'm pretty settled on 3DHS. I'm looking for a 3D plane, not an aerobat or something in between. So I'm thinking Edge 540 or AJ Slick, but really leaning toward AJ Slick.

I'd really like your opinions. trying to get this right the first time.

Abrams

50cc
Nobody out at the field has an AJ. There is a 3DHS Edge 540. Honestly, I like the AJ, but I'd also like to be original.

I love my slick. 3dhs airframes are built light. They dont take rough landings/deadsticks to well. its give and take With all airframes. But between the edge or slick me personally I'd go slick.

I have owned all 4 of the current 3DHS 30cc planes. If you want to go gas, go with the Edge or the 330SC. I have had both a electric and gas slick. The electric was 10 lbs and my gasser is 11.5. It makes a huge difference in the way this plane flies. Tyler also had a porker gasser Slick and was not happy with it.

Just yesterday. my buddy remaidened the 330SC that I originally owned as a electric, but now has been redone with a new motorbox kit and has a GT33. He has been all smiles ever since. I did not get a chance to fly it yet however.

My Velox is a on a RCGF 26BM which is only slightly heavier than a DLE-20, but spins 18" props and so far has been a pretty good combo. I have not found the perfect prop for it yet and it is just off break in gas so I don't have a long term outlook. I need to post some videos I have of it from last fall.

Here are setups I have had if you have any questions.

71 Slick, Motrolfly 4325-310 8s
71 Slick, Mintor 38 then GT33
72 330SC, Motrolfly 4325-310 8s
74 Edge, Mintor 38 with pro-flow
74 Edge, VVRC 40 (in build)
68 Velox, Mintor 22
70 Velox, RCGF 26BM

I have also owned the EF 70 and 78 Extras if you are willing to look at those.

Abrams

50cc
Thanks for the info Enterprise. I keep going back and forth on the Volex. I have a DLE20 I could put in one, which I hear would make an decent plane. But I'm hearing great things about the DLE 35-RA. Could go canister muffler with the 35... I've just been stuck on the idea on the AJ Slick. I rally appreciate the input

I'm really looking for the plane that would be most stable in a harrier. I've always heard the Edge is the way to go. I don't want a ton of 3D airframes in my garage. Trying to build the right one. And I'm trying to keep it relatively small, no bigger than my 120 size Cap232. 50cc is a little bit too big to fit in the van with the second row up.

What would you do Enterprise?

gyro

GSN Contributor
Not enterprise, but the most harrier stable 7x" airplane I've flown is by far and away the 70" Velox.

My answer is based on owning:

3dhs 70" Velox (2 - 1 20cc gas, 1 DM-4325 electric)
3dhs 70" Slick DM-5320 electric
3dhs 71" Slick DLE-30
Aerobeez 71" Extra DLE-30 / DM 4330 Electric
3dhs 72" Extra DLE-30
Aerobeez 73" Yak-54 DLE-30
3dhs 74" Edge DM-4330 electric (both 8s and 6s setups)
Redwing 76" MXS-R DLE-30

The Velox is not the funnest airplane on a DLE20 to be honest, I'd explore another engine like the DLE 30, or go electric.