• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3D HobbyShop 58" Edge 540 repair log

njswede

150cc
My 3DHS 58" Edge ate some dirt today. I had a catastrophic power system failure (investigation pending) while I was harriering some 6' off the ground. I had no air speed and almost no altitude, so I had no chance to fly it out and land it. Instead, I just held full up elevator and attempted to sit it down as gently as I could. Of course it landed in the muddy ditch that runs across our flyover area. Here's what it looked like:
IMAG0804.jpg

Taking off the cowl revealed even more mess, dirt and carnage:
IMG_3368.jpg

Pulling out the gear plate revealed some broken CF rods. Luckily, I happened to have the right dimension in my workshop. I discarded the old rods, but kept the little wooden rings for attaching it to the former. Maybe I can debond and salvage. We'll see...
IMG_3370.jpgIMG_3372.jpg

The former in front of the gear plate was cracked and ripped out of the plane. I will glue it back and probably put some CF strips on it to strengthen it. For now, I'm just cleaning it up and filling in some hairline cracks with thin CA.
IMG_3374.jpg

Dry fitted gear plate, former and braces and getting it ready to be glued back in. Seems to fit OK and no major pieces missing! Yay! This is all I have time and energy for tonight. Hope to finish it tomorrow (except for the covering, probably).
IMG_3375.jpgIMG_3377.jpg

Good night!

SnowDog

Ouch Pontus, sorry to see that. Do let us know what you find about the root cause of the failure. Did you have full power outage, or just the motor?
Nice quick work on the repair!

njswede

150cc
Added stringers. Two of them were reusable, the other two had to be made from balsa sticks.
IMAG0806.jpg

Then it was time to install the carbon rod tubes. I also noticed the cross braces on the motor box had cracked. This is most likely unrelated to the crashed, but caused by the forward location of the battery. Added some CF strip to stiffen it!
IMAG0809.jpg

Ordered a new motor (Motrolfly 4315). Now I just need to get some ultracote and seal it all up. Should be ready to come with me to the field on my next trip!

Last edited by a moderator:

SnowDog

Added stringers. Two of them were reusable, the other two had to be made from balsa sticks.

Then it was time to install the carbon rod tubes. I also noticed the cross braces on the motor box had cracked. This is most likely unrelated to the crashed, but caused by the forward location of the battery. Added some CF strip to stiffen it!

Ordered a new motor (Motrolfly 4315). Now I just need to get some ultracote and seal it all up. Should be ready to come with me to the field on my next trip!

Motrolfly 4315 == AWESOME and super reliable...you are gonna love it!!!

willfly2

30cc
Sorry for you'r mishap. Glad it's a easy repair. Also looking forward to the results of the cause of the failure. Pics. are helpful. Thank's for posting.