• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3DHS 103" Extra 330SC Re-Build Log

thurmma

150cc
I acquired this plane for a very reasonable price because it is in need of some tlc and some light ply, balsa and covering
icon_smile.gif
I don't have pictures before I stripped most of the covering from the fuselage, sorry.

Stripped Fuse.jpg

Last edited:

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Cool, rebuilding / covering can be fun since you can inspect everything and make any type of structural changes you want. 

thurmma

150cc
Here is one side of the landing gear repaired. I found out that the newer model engine box kits are more structurally sound than the original. This is why there is fiberglass over the top of the piece I replaced
icon_smile.gif

20140930_232506.jpg 20140930_232541.jpg 20140930_232555.jpg

Last edited:

thurmma

150cc
Terryscustom said
Cool, rebuilding / covering can be fun since you can inspect everything and make any type of structural changes you want. 
I agree. The only downfall is I am so busy that it takes longer than it should most of the time
icon_smile.gif
I umpire softball 3 nights a week, have to fund the hobby, so unless I get rained out one night I only get one or two nights to work on the plane. I know I will have to replace rudder hinges as one of the hinges has a lot of slop on the pin. That could be an adventure because someone has already replaced the hinges once so they could leave more space between the rudder and vertical stab. I am assuming they were wanting more throw for 3D style flying. Had some crazy graphics on the plane, which with the help of a heat gun, have been removed from the elevators and shortly to be removed from the wings also. Goo Gone works great for removing the leftover adhesive from the surfaces without the highly flammable smell of Acetone
icon_smile.gif

I will post more pictures as the rebuild progresses. I will be recovering in the original scheme as the hatch is in great shape and I don't feel like stripping the wings, elevators and the hatch to create another scheme for this plane.

thurmma

150cc
Well, I got to other side of the landing gear block finished last night and re-glued a few other spot in the fuse while I was at it. I will be double checking all of the joints and then adding the missing stringers and sheeting that had to be removed for the repairs or was tore up during the crash. Will also be removing the rudder and replacing the hinges once they get here.

20141002_204427.jpg 20141002_204438.jpg 20141002_204453.jpg

Last edited:

thurmma

150cc
Have completed one side sheeting and all. Now to add some filler to make things a little smoother where the pieces meet and then to the other side for sheeting
icon_smile.gif

20141005_201705.jpg 20141005_201718.jpg 20141005_201729.jpg

Last edited:

thurmma

150cc
Robart steel pin point hinges. Just got off the phone with Horizon and they should be here either Wednesday or Thursday
icon_smile.gif