• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3DHS 57" Extra 330 SC Motorbox Repair

quadracer

100cc
Recently smushed my 57 into the dirt, and had to redo the motorbox and LG area.

Progress so far: All formers in and glued, battery tray and top plate dry-fitted. I want to wait until tomorrow to glue the last pieces, just in case I think of something I forgot.

I was quite impressed that the MB kit includes pretty much the entire front half of the plane, sans gear, of course.

It was really straightforward, the hardest part being getting the first former in front of the wing tube wedged into place. I ended up debonding the tube to allow the fuse sides to seperate.

Pretty much just a process of tearing out the broken stuff, taking an inventory of what needs replaced, and putting the new pieces in. (In my case, I used every piece in the kit.... :D)
Some "before" pics
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350012772.553143.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350012797.586344.jpg

"During"
Much of the mangled pieces removed
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350012822.936213.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350012846.586603.jpg

First three formers installed; An important note.... You want to install the landing gear plate before you put that third former in. (Ask me how I learned that..)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350012878.336825.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350012908.603273.jpg

Fourth former and battery tray installed
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350012946.420007.jpg

Finished mock-up before gluing it all together
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350012970.936733.jpg

The kit includes the entire top plate and magnets, all the way to the back of the canopy. I didn't need that much of it, and didn't feel like debonding all of that, so I'm splicing it in, right behind the landing gear former.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350012995.470717.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350013020.036779.jpg

It took me roughly 1.5 hours to get this much done, so it's not too terribly time consuming. Plus, I'm starting to find repairs to be somewhat therapeutic. :D

This is my first MB swap, so if any one sees something that needs done/changed, or has any tips to make it easier, feel free to let me know.

Fly Low, but not quite as low as I did.... :)

Eagle34

50cc
Nice work. Pretty easy once you get all the pieces figured out. I normally put the kit all together outside the plane just so I know how it goes together (no glue though.)

quadracer

100cc
Yeah, the first thing I did was take the two side rails and figure out which one was shorter, then labeled it so I didn't get them in with the thrust angle the wrong way. I also had to trim out the slots for the firewall tabs to fit inside them. They were WAY too tight.
Now I have to find some blue UltraCoat patch to repair the covering around the LG.

quadracer

100cc
All done, just gotta heat the covering around the cowl up to take the wrinkles out, and put the wings back on. :D :D
I even "blinged" it out with a blue spinner. :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350527024.756767.jpg