• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3DHS 62" Osiris

gyro

GSN Contributor
This plane is fast, precise, and looks amazing in the air! Here are two pics I snapped of one flown by Twistedgrim today.

DSCF0900.jpgDSCF0899.jpg

G.P.

70cc twin V2
Doesn't seem to be much love for the 62" Osiris here. I bought one for windy days after being impressed with the smaller Aspera and how well it handled the wind. The Oris is amazing in the wind, and tackles it like nothing else I have ever flown. When the rest of the field is grounded, I'm still burning holes in the sky with little effort. I've flown it in such strong winds cross winds that I haven't even been able to taxi it back after the flight. Full down elevator and full rudder and it would still just weather vane into the wind.

Even though I fly mostly 3D and just got the Osiris for those times when it's too windy for my 3D airframes, I've been pleasently surprised that I really enjoy flying the Osiris all the time. It seems to work it's way into the truck even when there isn't any wind in the forcast. It's a really enjoyable flying such perfect (for me) lines, slow rolls, rolling circles, and rolling loops, ect, with such little effort. A big plus is that it has really improved the precision flying with all of my 3D airframes.

I went a different route with the power system in mine because I wanted to use my 4s packs. I went with 4s 4000 (x2) packs in series, and a Motrofly 4315-380. The packs are slightly heavier than recommended (motor is lighter), but the Osiris has held up to the extra weight without issue for several seasons now. With the packs almost all the way back at the wing tube it balanced with just a slight push inverted. I used to like hands off inverted, but after flying the Osiris like this I have changed all of my airframes to the slight push inverted. AJ designs his airframes to balance like this, and it really improves the precision side of things. I haven't noticed any negative effects to the 3D either with this CG.

Notes:

-51" Slick tailwheel - slightly heavier but less servo shock than standard set up
-Bec Pro in the tail for balance
-Ice 100 just ahead of the landing gear block for balance
-shark mouth decal from ADC Hobby Store

113.jpg 116 (2).jpg 114.jpg 120.jpg 121.jpg 118 (2).jpg 117 (2).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

SnowDog

I feel the same way about my 65" Vyper as you do your Osiris. Great plane for windy days, and I like the precision characteristics as well.

G.P.

70cc twin V2
I would really like to try a Vyper...and almost bought one instead of my Osiris. But someone posted that the Vyper is the perfect do-it-all airframe if you can only have one, and to get the Osiris if you already have an all out 3D airframe. That way you'll have the absolute best of both worlds without any compromises. That's what made me go for the Osiris instead of the Vyper.

St3v3

30cc
I thought I'd get one of these as I'd like to work on my precision skills, after reading the 200+ pages over at the other place I decided to go for the following set up;

Hacker A50-16S V2
Ice Lite 100 Amp
Hitec HS-5245MG Digital Mini Servos (Ailerons and elevator)
Hitec HS-7985MG Digital Servo (Rudder)
Zippy Compact 6S 25C 5000 mah Lipo's (703g)

I've also ordered Xoar 16 x 10 & 17 x 10 props, I'll see which works best for me.

I was tempted to go for the lighter 5 cell set up that AJ prefers using, a Hacker A50-12S Motor, but as the 16s is the same weight and could run on 5 cells at a push I thought I'd go with that, also the zippy's are pretty light for their size so I'm hoping it behaves well, I could also pimp it up and give the edf's a run for their money :)

gyro

GSN Contributor
I thought I'd get one of these as I'd like to work on my precision skills, after reading the 200+ pages over at the other place I decided to go for the following set up;

Hacker A50-16S V2
Ice Lite 100 Amp
Hitec HS-5245MG Digital Mini Servos (Ailerons and elevator)
Hitec HS-7985MG Digital Servo (Rudder)
Zippy Compact 6S 25C 5000 mah Lipo's (703g)

I've also ordered Xoar 16 x 10 & 17 x 10 props, I'll see which works best for me.

I was tempted to go for the lighter 5 cell set up that AJ prefers using, a Hacker A50-12S Motor, but as the 16s is the same weight and could run on 5 cells at a push I thought I'd go with that, also the zippy's are pretty light for their size so I'm hoping it behaves well, I could also pimp it up and give the edf's a run for their money :)

Congrats on your purchase. I've seen the osiris fly, and its something to behold!
I've had trouble with the Zippy compacts. Bought 4 of both the 4s2700 and the 3a2200. After 20-25 flights, the 4s packs would loose a cell. The 3s didn't even make it that long.
Your experience may be different, but I felt I'd be remiss if I didn't share this.

St3v3

30cc
Thanks for the warning, but I've been lucky with mine, I use the 4s2700 on my 51 slick , 3s2200 on my 42 slick and no puffing and no cells dropped, nanotechs are not so good, they last ok, but they puff up after a few flights so I've stopped using them, I only charge at 1.5 amps so maybe that helps with the zippy's.

I know there's better batteries, I have some 1800 GensAce 3s that I use on the 42 Slick which are great, but pricewise the zippy compacts are great value in the UK, more so since HK opened up in the UK, I can't get anything close to their spec here without paying a lot more money.

joshgluck

100cc
Hey guys - just picked one up myself... I too read a few of the posts in the other osiris thread and was warned about incidence issues out of the box between the wings and tail.. Can someone who has recently built one of these give me some advice and your experience? I don't have an incidence tool and wondered if I needed it to assemble? This will also be my first pull/pull install. Did you guys use optional servo arms or are there some included in the kit? I have yet to open the box :)

My setup is:
A50-12s
Castle Ice Lite 100
Align ds510 x3
Align ds610 x1
Turnigy nano-tech 35c 5s 5000mah
Xoar 15x10 and 16x10 - not sure which I will go with, need to get a wattmeter.

G.P.

70cc twin V2
The only way you have to worry about incedence is if you know better than Andrew Jesky. With modern laser cutting it is impossible for the horizontal stab slot in the fuse to be anything other than what he designed. If you follow the instructions and build the plane as he intended, set the CG and throws as they were meant to be, it will fly great. I followed that thread too and have no idea why those guys were messing with stuff. They were playing with motor angles and all kinds of stuff. Take it with a grain of salt and just try it stock. I was blown away by it, and I'm sure you will be too.

FYI - if i recall correctly they were worried about their elevator lining up perfectly with the stab once it was trimmed in flight. Ben, Scott Stoops, and Andrew Jeskey have all said that it doesn't matter if the elevator on a plane lines up with the stab. It's going to be different for everyone depending on their prefered CG...it will not effect how the plane flys. Andrew likes his planes to have a push when inverted. I set mine up that way and I think the stab is pretty close (it's been too long since I've flown it). If there is any mismatch between the elevator and stab it is probably designed to be there. The new 2m Osiris that is coming out has a piece of triangle stock on the end of the rudder just to create drag for constant speed downlines...

I used the recommended servos and was able to use the stock servo arms. The suggested throws don't require long arms like a 3D airframe.

If you are worried about anything, Higher Plane Productions has a great DVD where Andrew takes you through the design, assembly, set up, trimming, and flying of the Osiris.

Last edited by a moderator:

SnowDog

+100 to what GP said. Build it stock and fly it...you shouldn't have to mess with things like that...and you don't...with any 3DHS products.