• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3DHS 72" Extra - Motrolfly 4330-206kv on 12S

Hey guys!

So I've been loving the 72" Extra for a couple years now, and all this time I've been running it on a Motrolfly 4330 6S setup. I was hearing that some guys had great success running it on 12S, so I took the plunge. Ken at Motrolfly got the 4330 rewound for me, and it's time to put back together. I'm hoping to get a little more power/efficiency, and maybe a little more flight time! I was only getting 5 minutes tops, flying hard on a 6S.

I'm gonna start this thread to document my experience.

The 72 is ready for the "nose job"!
72MotorOFF.jpg
72MotorBox.jpg

I had to upgrade to a HV ESC of course! Soldered some bullets on them.
4330_CC80HV.jpg

Motor locked in tight to the custom stand-offs.
4330Mounted.jpg

More to come...:peace:

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Fun times... I love how you guys have a park between each house :p Our neighborhood is full of 2500 sf lots with two story 2000 sf houses on them.

Fun times... I love how you guys have a park between each house :p Our neighborhood is full of 2500 sf lots with two story 2000 sf houses on them.

That's a 2.5 acre open lot between our houses that we grassed last year. Makes for a great landing strip! The field adjacent to it is huge and really nice to fly over. It's wide open out here! No trees, no power lines... Life could be worse!

I finally had a chance to button it up! I installed the motor and ESC...

Motor-&-ESC-1.jpgMotor-&-ESC-2.jpg

Made a serial harness with a Jeti Anti-Spark plug.

Serial-Harness.jpgJeti-Anti-Spark-Plug.jpg

2 brand new Pulse 6S-3000mAh 65C Lipos in series, will replace my single Nanotech 6S-5000mAh 65C batteries.

Batteries-and-Scale.jpgNanotech-Weight.jpgPulse-Weight.jpg

The batteries alone will add 218 grams, plus the harness which is 57 grams for a grand total of 275g of additional weight.
That's not counting any copper that got added to the motor on the re-wind.
The Rx battery is the same as before. So no change there.

Rx-Batt.jpg

It's a snug fit, but with two velcro straps, they're holding nice and tight!

Batteries-in.jpgBatteries-in-strapped.jpg

I put the cowl, the prop, and the wings back on...

Plane-1.jpgPlane-2.jpgPlane-Front.jpg

I put a meter between the ESC and the Batts, and ran the prop full speed, and it pulled extremely hard!
And the batteries were only at storage voltage! Insane! At 3.85v per cell, I was seeing over 2300 watts, and 51 amps.
Once I get a nice day, I'll double check all the throws, and re-maiden it!

More to come! :peace:

Last edited by a moderator:

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
I have pulse batteries for my 39" crack yak. They are really strong packs compared to others I have had in that 800 may size.