• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D 40% SD Models YAK 54

Shayne Epley

New to GSN!
A few months ago I acquired an SD Models YAK 54 that was still brand new. The plane still had all hardware and wood components still sealed in the factory bags and the firewall hasn't even been installed. Upon getting the plane home and looking everything over real well I found out that the stabs and rudder supplied with the plane were not the correct ones. In fact they were the stabs and rudder from the modern day pilot YAK. Although very similar in size and shape, certain mounting locations didn't line up. With the help of my amazing dad Robert Epley, we were able to track down a brand new set of stabs and a used rudder that match this plane from Dave Sullivan. The plane was now complete with all the correct parts and now was just waiting for an engine and radio gear. Well, after a dead stick incident last weekend with my 43% PAU Edge 540 that left it quite damaged, I decided to strip the gear out of it and get this YAK in the air until I have the time to repair the Edge. After hearing about what an amazing aircraft this YAK was back in the day I decided to do a build thread on it for you all to see and comment on.

The following list is the intended components to go into the YAK:
DLE 222 swinging a Falcon 32x12 Prop
Hitec 7954 for ailerons and elevators (3 per aileron, 2 per elevator)
Hitec 7950 for rudder, 2 on this surface
TDRC 20 AWG extensions and multiplex connectors throughout the air-frame
Smart-fly power expander pro with pin and flag switch
2 Fromeco 7.4V 5200 mAh flight packs
2 7.4V 2600 mAh ignition packs fed into 2 RCExcel optikill switches
All brought together with Hitec Aurora radio system

Here are a couple pics of it roughly set up in my driveway just to see it together. Will update with progress as I go and look forward to any comments along the way. Hope you all enjoy.

Attachments

• 13750.jpeg
    13750.jpeg
    115.4 KB · Views: 651
  • 13751.jpeg
    13751.jpeg
    105.7 KB · Views: 483

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
I'm looking at that first pic and saying to myself, that's a BFA (Big f'in airplane!) if I ever saw one. weird that the wrong parts are in there.

Have fun with the build and thanks for the build thread. I happen to like old airplanes so have at it!

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
A few months ago I acquired an SD Models YAK 54 that was still brand new. The plane still had all hardware and wood components still sealed in the factory bags and the firewall hasn't even been installed. Upon getting the plane home and looking everything over real well I found out that the stabs and rudder supplied with the plane were not the correct ones. In fact they were the stabs and rudder from the modern day pilot YAK. Although very similar in size and shape, certain mounting locations didn't line up. With the help of my amazing dad Robert Epley, we were able to track down a brand new set of stabs and a used rudder that match this plane from Dave Sullivan. The plane was now complete with all the correct parts and now was just waiting for an engine and radio gear. Well, after a dead stick incident last weekend with my 43% PAU Edge 540 that left it quite damaged, I decided to strip the gear out of it and get this YAK in the air until I have the time to repair the Edge. After hearing about what an amazing aircraft this YAK was back in the day I decided to do a build thread on it for you all to see and comment on.

The following list is the intended components to go into the YAK:
DLE 222 swinging a Falcon 32x12 Prop
Hitec 7954 for ailerons and elevators (3 per aileron, 2 per elevator)
Hitec 7950 for rudder, 2 on this surface
TDRC 20 AWG extensions and multiplex connectors throughout the air-frame
Smart-fly power expander pro with pin and flag switch
2 Fromeco 7.4V 5200 mAh flight packs
2 7.4V 2600 mAh ignition packs fed into 2 RCExcel optikill switches
All brought together with Hitec Aurora radio system

Here are a couple pics of it roughly set up in my driveway just to see it together. Will update with progress as I go and look forward to any comments along the way. Hope you all enjoy.
Now ya gotz one like yo daddy! Gonna be too much fun with two monster Yak's hangin' on the props side by side. Git 'er done. Tri-Cities is coming!:banana-dance:

Shayne Epley

New to GSN!
So, the last couple weeks I have been busy with work and vehicle repairs and stuff around the house. Haven't had much of an opportunity to do much building. With the tri-cities huckfest right around the corner, it's time for me to get my butt in gear on this airplane. I have as I've had time been able to get all the covering shrunk down. It was wrinkled real bad and even had to employ the help of dad on the covering, seeing he is the ultracote guru. I also got my order from TDRC for my wire, mpx connectors and and male and female ends. I have started making my own extension to exact length I need and really like the way they are turning out. This will be my first air-frame with all custom extensions throughout. Will keep everything up to date as I go. Now it's time to go clean up the little pilot yak 54 from an awesome day of flying and get back to work on this beast

Attachments

• 20160508_143601.jpg
    20160508_143601.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 378
  • 20160508_143609.jpg
    20160508_143609.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 460
  • 20160511_175332.jpg
    20160511_175332.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 440
  • 20160529_165106.jpg
    20160529_165106.jpg