• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

42% electronics

andersons

New to GSN!
Hi guys not new to RC but new to a  42% AeroTech Extra 300. I have a couple questions about the electrical setup. Will be setup for IMAC.

I have some options of what I can install so here it is: A single Futaba R6014HS or dual Futaba R7008SB's into a Smart Fly EQ10 ?

I don't know what batteries to use. I want a 6V system, has 8 Hitec 7955's on the surfaces and standard TH servo. What about running 3ea A123 4600mah 2 on the Rx/Rx's and 1 on the ignition. Has a DLE -170 on it.

Thanks 

tl3

50cc
andersons said
Hi guys not new to RC but new to a  42% AeroTech Extra 300. I have a couple questions about the electrical setup. Will be setup for IMAC.

I have some options of what I can install so here it is: A single Futaba R6014HS or dual Futaba R7008SB's into a Smart Fly EQ10 ?

I don't know what batteries to use. I want a 6V system, has 8 Hitec 7955's on the surfaces and standard TH servo. What about running 3ea A123 4600mah 2 on the Rx/Rx's and 1 on the ignition. Has a DLE -170 on it.

Thanks 
I prefer the KISS approach myself, though on big planes I do run a dual rx setup.  Of the options you mention, I would go with 2 7008SB or 2 6014HS and split the plane left and right, keeping the rudder on one side and throttle on the other, going directly to the rxs.  Never been a fan of A123 type batteries.  If you want a 6v system, I would regulate your voltage through Fromeco Sahara regulators (w/ either 2 or 3 output leads) using Li Poly or Li Ion packs.  One of the advantages to the Saharas is the ability to get them with multiple output leads, another is that your system will see 6 volts (or whatever you set them to) on the first flight as well as the 5th.  There are many ways to skin the proverbial cat, this is just what I prefer. 

t

-Rick-

100cc
I'll follow along. I will be putting my first 42%er together in the next six months.

Are smart flys, or power boards necessary? There are ways of getting power to the servos with out going thorough the RX,  would that not work?  

To some folks, yes, to others no.  You can use dual Rx's, and use multiple power inputs into each Rx.

I'm happy with using 11ch JR DMSS PowerBuss Rx's for this full year, and I am pleased with the Rx's.  I have flown 40's on 2 Rx's, 1 Rx (with brownout cap installed), PowerSafe Rx, Rx with seperate power bus all without issue.  It is all in what you want to do.

On the 9ch Rx with dual battery installed, I hooked up a Smart Fly battery meter.  It records lowest voltage seen in flight.  I seen 6.7V from a freshly charged pack, running 2S LiPo direct.  I have seen even on my 9ch PowerSafe Rx, a much similar voltage drop under a heavy load.

tl3

50cc
-Rick- said
I'll follow along. I will be putting my first 42%er together in the next six months.

Are smart flys, or power boards necessary? There are ways of getting power to the servos with out going thorough the RX,  would that not work?  
As BK said, it depends on your personal philosophy when it comes to power setups.  I have never used a power box and don't feel they are necessary.  On big planes I have used two 6014HS rxs with multiple power leads into the rx with no issues over thousands of flights.  Others will say the same thing about their power distribution device.  Both approaches work provided they are adequately supported on the power and flight management side.

t

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
For what it's worth.... As it was mentioned. KISS!!! I am also not new to rc.. but only been gassin' it with giant scale for a little over two years now. So far, I've been really pleased with my setups. Not only in my 50cc'ers. But my 42%'ers as well. On all my planes, I use one rx. going into a Smart-Fly. For a number of reasons. I like splitting my servos, I like redundant power supply, I like using HV setups. And I like things neat and tidy. One "Pin & Flag" switch... (No conglomerate of switches to ugly up the sides of your fueslage) Though I have considered 2S Lipos, I presently use Fromeco Relion Li-Ion 2S. I get the best of all worlds. Yet, it is also once again...personal preference. Keeping it simple eliminates more possible causes for failure. 

-Rick-

100cc
stangflyer said
For what it's worth.... As it was mentioned. KISS!!! I am also not new to rc.. but only been gassin' it with giant scale for a little over two years now. So far, I've been really pleased with my setups. Not only in my 50cc'ers. But my 42%'ers as well. On all my planes, I use one rx. going into a Smart-Fly. For a number of reasons. I like splitting my servos, I like redundant power supply, I like using HV setups. And I like things neat and tidy. One "Pin & Flag" switch... (No conglomerate of switches to ugly up the sides of your fueslage) Though I have considered 2S Lipos, I presently use Fromeco Relion Li-Ion 2S. I get the best of all worlds. Yet, it is also once again...personal preference. Keeping it simple eliminates more possible causes for failure. 
I like the idea of the smart fly, and I do see it keeping it simple. But is smart fly the only GOOD choice of a power board? Are there any others that are as good? I don't want to start a brand war, just can't seem to find other choices. 

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
-Rick- said
stangflyer said

I like the idea of the smart fly, and I do see it keeping it simple. But is smart fly the only GOOD choice of a power board? Are there any others that are as good? I don't want to start a brand war, just can't seem to find other choices. 
Power Box Royal. But "VERY" expensive. There may be others, but those are the ones I am familiar with. I have been using the Power Expander Pro. It has plenty of available slots for my type of setups. It is not that terribly priced...($149.99) Been using them on everything from 50cc to my 42%'ers. No issues, and super clean install.

-Rick-

100cc
stangflyer said
-Rick- said
stangflyer said

Power Box Royal. But "VERY" expensive. There may be others, but those are the ones I am familiar with. I have been using the Power Expander Pro. It has plenty of available slots for my type of setups. It is not that terribly priced...($149.99) Been using them on everything from 50cc to my 42%'ers. No issues, and super clean install.
That not a bad price, I thought they were much more!