• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

5 Ply vs. 7 Ply Plywood

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
Hi Guys,

I bought a sheet of 3/8" birch plywood the other day but it's 5 ply instead of 7 ply. It's for a landing gear attach plate and a firewall. I think it's fine for the landing gear attach plate but what about the firewall? I only mention it because I noticed just now that the plans call for 7 ply but I'm thinking 3/8" 5 ply is still plenty for a 100cc if I use fender washers to prevent crushing on the back and a nice broad mount to help the bearing loads on the front side.

Opinions?

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
7 ply will crush less and add more weight. You will need to prepare for some crush when you install you engine but it's plenty strong as long as you have a four sided engine box. Use fender washers or similar and broad base engine standoffs like SWB sells. Landing gear plate as well, you will obviously have some more structure like aluminum angle or something there to support the gear anyway.