• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

87" electric pilot RC Sbach

Bigroger

70cc twin V2
Guys,
just got through with the power up tests on my new Pilot RC Sbach.

Using the Hacker Q80-8M 12s setup and Mej 24x10TH prop, it has some serious watts and rpm for an electric. I got away with 2.5" DA stand offs on the motor due to the adjustable fire wall system PilotRc employ in their kits. Sweet.
I'm using SWB 2" arms on the elevator for 60 deg throw both ways and 1.5" SWB on ailerons for 45deg both ways.
Rudder, I stayed with Pilot supplied offset G10 arm for best geometry.

6960rpm and 5600Watt peak on fresh packs.

Anyway, here is some pics of the journey to this stage.

More pics and video once it flys soon.

Enjoy. Roger.

IMG_0505.jpgIMG_0540.jpgIMG_0538.jpgIMG_0528.jpgIMG_0527.jpgIMG_0511.jpgIMG_0510.jpgIMG_0509.jpgIMG_0508.jpgIMG_0507.jpgIMG_0506.jpgIMG_0542.jpg

gyro

GSN Contributor
awesome pics Roger! Would be awesome if you could write a mini-review on the plane! I can PM you the format if you're willing to do it :)

Bigroger

70cc twin V2
Sure Gary, no problem.

Just got to get it in the air first.

I was gonna do a shot by shot build report but you know how those things go, hurry through to get it built and before I knew it she was all zipped up ready to fly.

Bigroger

70cc twin V2
So here is a mini review of the Sbach Pilot RC.

1- Pics upon opening the box (sorry no pics of box, but it did arrive in two boxes, one for the fuse the other for the wings)
2- impressions upon unpacking (very well packed, both boxes were lined with 3-4mm masonite board and even though there was one punch mark in the box it didn't make it through the lining)
3- how you think the build went overall? (build went pretty good over all, as this was my first gas plane to electric conversion I had a lot of things to learn and work through)
-were the instructions accurate? (instructions are generic for a Pilot RC 50cc size plane and actually refer to the Yak54)
-were all the parts included? (some parts were missing, a few 3mm socket head bolts for the push rods and bits and pieces like that. I'd say it was 99% complete no problems)
-did everything fit together correctly? (fitment was great with no issues apart from the pull-pull cable and how they go through the fuse. I found that the cut in the fuse was too far back and the wire had a slight bend in it as it rubbed on the fuse. I fixed this with a dremel taking out some of the outer wood to allow better angle.
4- what power system and electronics you chose? (hacker Q80-8M and castle Ice2 160HV)
5- some pics of the completed airplane
6- How did the maiden go? not done yet.
7- Do you think the airframe is a good value for it's retail price? Seems good so far, I'll know more once I maiden it.
8- Would you buy another Pilot RC airplane? Certainly.
9- what type of flyer would you recommend this airplane to? (newb, intermediate, advanced, etc)
10- any other opinions or comments

Bigroger

70cc twin V2
Finally had enough of the issues with incidence and coupling in the 87" Sbach and sold the airframe onto a club member more interested in scale flying than 3D hucking.

I did cut a video last week before stripping it out for sale.
[video=vimeo;56137985]https://vimeo.com/56137985[/video]