• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

A couple of questions on servos

Servos for whatever reasons are classified as radio systems right? So I think this is the proper place.

Anyway, so, do you guys use the phillips head screws that usually come with servos to mount servo arms to the servo? Or do you get aftermarket hex head bolts? Where do you get them?

Do you use locktite for this purpose? I've had locktite ruin some plastics or nylons, and I'm wondering if using locktite in this application might cause damage to internal plastics in a servo due to locktite seeping into the servo while it is still fluid.

Bbcorvette18

70cc twin V2
I have both with my hitecs. I bought some 2.5mm x 6mm(maybe 8mm) bolts to upgrade offline. I always use locktite in metal gear servos on anything that vibrates. Aka gassers

Robotech

70cc twin V2
I have both with my hitecs. I bought some 2.5mm x 6mm(maybe 8mm) bolts to upgrade offline. I always use locktite in metal gear servos on anything that vibrates. Aka gassers
Hitecs use 2.6mm screws. 2.5mm is a little undersized. I'm not sure it would matter though. Why in the heck they chose such an odd size is beyond me.

Hitec is 2.6mm screw size. I have been in the habit of using hex head screws to retain servo horns and servos. Just seems like the Phillips screws round out easy, anymore...

Thanks guys--the hitec information is good. I'll have to look up JR--since I have been messing with different control arm geometries on my 91", my JR phillips heads are about done.

Bbcorvette18

70cc twin V2
Hitecs use 2.6mm screws. 2.5mm is a little undersized. I'm not sure it would matter though. Why in the heck they chose such an odd size is beyond me.
You are correct they are 2.6mm and that's what I bought just like ya said it's an odd size so 2.5 sprung to mind lol.

Bipeguy03

150cc
I get hex head ones from Fastenal, bag of 100 is like 10 bucks. My Airtronics stuff is M3 but I'm sure they have more sizes.

Robbins

Team WTFO (Watch The Fun Occur)
Lone wolf,
If you have a hardware store that sells Hillman fasteners you may get lucky and find the socket head screws that you need. I agree on the dab of locktite also. Just on mg/tg.