• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Aerobeez 105" Extra 330 Reaper Build Guide

Hey Everyone! Welcome to the build log for the new Aerobeez 105" Extra 330 Reaper. Aerobeez has done a great job with this kit. Aerobeez already cut down a few hours of the build but pre hinging all of you surfaces.

My setup will be:
-DLA-116cc Engine
- (7) Hitec HSB-9380th servos all around
-Hitec HS-5665 on throttle
- Xoar 28x8
-(2) Gens Ace 2s 3500mah RX pack

Before we start building, I highly recommend using lock-tight for every single screw in the airplane.

I like to lay everything out on the table before i begin to make sure i have everything. Than I feel like it is an important to go through all the joints in the fuselage with thin CA.

IMG_4850.JPG
Next locate your wing, stabilizer, and rudder bag and remove all of your control horns and lay them out in front of you. Using sand paper, sand the bottom part of the control horn as seen in the picture above.

IMG_4851.JPG
IMG_4853.JPG
Next locate all of your ball links and linkages, they should already be installed together from the factory. The 4 shortest ones are for your ailerons, the 2 medium sized ones are for your elevators, and the longest one is for you rudder. Slide the control horn plate into 2 control horns and screw in your ball links to the control horn. Use lock tight for the screws. Repeat this step to all of your control horns. I am going with the push-pull method in this build in order to get he servo feel i desire.

IMG_4874.JPG

IMG_4873.JPG
Locate the placement for the control horns on the wing. They are located a underneath the servo bay on the aileron and a little to the side. Cut the slits open with a knife so that you can slide in the control horns later.(The wing comes with a option to use 3 servos, i am only using 2 servos so i am using the one that is furthest away from the cord of the wing and the one that is closest, i am not using the middle servo)

IMG_4876.JPG
Next slide in your control horns and cut the are around it with a sharp knife.

IMG_4878.JPG
Using masking tape, mask the area around the control horn. This is so epoxy wont get on the covering when we glue in the control horn.

IMG_4879.JPG
Remove the control horn and pull away the covering we cut earlier.

IMG_4863.JPG
Now repeat these steps to all of the control surfaces.

IMG_4864.JPG
At this point we can begin mixing our epoxy. I use 5 minute epoxy but for this step i recommend using at least a 15 minute. Once our epoxy is mixed we can put some epoxy on the control surface itself and also on the control horn, on the side that is going to be inserted into the wing. Now install the control horn the control horn.

IMG_4867.JPG
Using a paper towel that has been dampened with acetone clean away the excess epoxy.

IMG_4868.JPG
IMG_4862.JPG
While the epoxy is still wet, peel away the masking tape an go over that area with a paper towel dampened with acetone. Continue this step to all of the control surfaces.

IMG_4883.JPG
Now locate your carbon fiber landing gear, wheel pants, gear cuffs, and landing gear accessory bag.

IMG_4888.JPG
Slide the gear cuffs onto the landing gear, make sue its on the correct way. The front of the landing gear is the flat side, the rear is a bit tapered as you can see in the picture above. The right side of the gear in the picture is the front. The shortest part of the gear cuff should be in the front of the rear, the rear part of the cuff extends out a little bit more for looks. Do not glue in the cuffs yet!

IMG_4891.JPG
Now screw in the axle into the carbon fiber landing gear. Make sure to put locktite on the threads of the axle!

IMG_4893.JPG
Find all four of the wheel collars and take them out of the bag. Remove all of the set screws and lay them out on the table. Put locktite in all of the collars where the set screw goes in, this is a very important step! Without the locktite the set screws are bound to vibrate loose! Put the set screws into the collars but do not tighten all the way.

IMG_4896.JPG
Slide the collar onto he axle, do not tighten i yet. Put the wheel pant where it is supposed to be in order to determine the distance between the collar and the axle. Once you have determined the proper distance for the collar to be tighten the collar, slide on the wheel, slide on the other collar and tighten. Repeat the same steps for the other side. Aerobeez has taken the liberty of putting the blind nut in the wheel pants for you, but i do not like putting the wheel pants on the landing gear just yet because i do not want them to get scratched. So put in your bolts in the wheel pants and keep them in a safe place until he end.

IMG_4898.JPG
Flip the airplane over to its underside, remove the gear cover from where it is supposed to be and test fit the main gear.

IMG_4899.JPG

IMG_4908.JPG
Slide he bolts though the gear cover plate.

IMG_4901.JPG
Once you know the main gear fits, locate the 4 bolts and nuts that are needed to install the lading gear, put the washer on the screw and some locktight on the threads.

IMG_4902.JPG
Slide the screws in place through the bottom side of the air frame.

IMG_4907.JPG
Put the washers and nuts on and tighten.

IMG_4909.JPG
Move your gear cuffs to the desired location and put a few strips of masking tape on the bottom of the gear cuff.

IMG_4910.JPG
Slide down the gear cuff and place some epoxy on the place where the gear cuff meets the landing gear.

IMG_4916.JPG
Slide the gear cuff in place, remove the masking tape, and clean up excess epoxy.
Repeat these steps for both sides.

IMG_4921.JPG
At this point you can also remove the tape holding the hatch i the back as shown in the picture above.

IMG_4922.JPG
Locate the wood screws that are meant to screw the hatch to the wood. Now in the log, i did not cut away the covering in the hatches but over time i found that it helps with cooling so i recommend to cut away the covering in the holes.

IMG_4923.JPG
Install the hatches.

IMG_4924.JPG
IMG_4925.JPG
Now the easiest part of the whole build, hinging the rudder, you must first find the rod used as a pin for the rudder hinges and the collar attached to it. Remove the collar, and line up the rudder, slide the pin though the rudder hinge slot.

IMG_4927.JPG
Once you have slipped the rod through put a collar on the bottom side of the rod that sticks out, lock tight the set screw.

IMG_4928.JPG
Now locate your tail wheel assembly, springs, wood screw, and the three bolt all supplied with the kit. Aerobeez took the liberty of pre-installing the tail wheel on the tail wheel assembly to help you get your plane flying just a little bit faster!

IMG_4932.JPG
Slide the bolts into the tail wheel assembly and put locktit on the threads of all the bolts.

IMG_4933.JPG
Bolt the tail wheel assembly in place

IMG_4935.JPG
Now take both of the springs and bend the end about 270degrees.

IMG_4936.JPG
Slide the bent part of the springs into the holes on the assembly.

IMG_4937.JPG
Slide the bent piece into the spring.

IMG_4938.JPG
Follow the same steps to this piece.

IMG_4939.JPG
Pull until the springs have tension.

IMG_4940.JPG
Now screw it in place.

IMG_4947.JPG
Once the wing control horns have dried, we can now work on connecting the servos to it. Remove the servo bays from the wings and remove the covering as shown in the picture.

IMG_4949.JPG
Attach the arms to your servos, for servos i chose the Hitec HSB-9380th servo.

IMG_4951.JPG
Screw the servo in place. (I chose to cut off the wood on the side because my servo arm was rubbing on it.

IMG_4952.JPG
Locate the line in the fuselage to help run your servo extensions to the outside of the wing.

IMG_4953.JPG
Tie one end to your servo extension.

IMG_4954.JPG
Pull through the end. Repeat this step for both wing servos and for both wings.

IMG_4957.JPG

IMG_4963.JPG

IMG_4965.JPG
Screw your servo bay in with the supplied wood screws, and connect your servo to the ball links, remember to use locktite. Repeat this step for both wings.

IMG_5377.JPG
Cut away the covering for where the servo arm will stick out of.

IMG_5379.JPG

IMG_5380.JPG
Screw in your elevator servo, and connect your push rod to your servo arm. Remember to use locktite.

IMG_5384.JPG
Cut the servo hole for the rudder and elevators. The rudder servo location is directly under the elevators and the elevator servo locations are directly in front of the elevators on either side of the fuselage. On the right side of the fuselage inside the tail, there is the piece of string used to run the servo extensions to the fuselage. At the end, you will need to use a bit of grey covering that comes with the kit ad cover up the right square so that it won show up when you put the elevators on, but for building purposes it is necessary to cut this hole.

IMG_5386.JPG
IMG_5387.JPG
Run all of your servo extensions through this hole and tie them to the string like shown.

IMG_5389.JPG
Pull through the inside of the fuselage.

IMG_5392.JPG
Now you can install the fuel tank. Arobeez has made his step supper easy by pre-plumbing you fuel tank for you. Remember to remove the spare o-rings that come inside.

IMG_5393.JPG

IMG_5394.JPG
Remove the covering from the little hole shown above, and screw in your fuel dot.

IMG_5395.JPG
Run your fuel lines to the necessary locations.

IMG_5419.JPG
Now we can install the engine, tape your engine mounting template to the firewall. Make sure to line up the lines to he firewall.

IMG_5420.JPG
Drill out the holes, and mount your engine. Remember to use locktite.

IMG_5422.JPG
Install your throttle servo in the desired location and connect it to the engine.

IMG_5425.JPG
Than cut the holes in your cowl by lining it up under your engine.

You are now complete with your Aerobeez 105" Reaper Extra 330sc! Happy Flying!

PRO TIPS:

CG-
Using a DLA-116cc engine with the rudder servo in the rear and a Gens Ace 3500mAh 2s RX pack strapped righ behind the wing tube i got the CG to balance right on the wing tube.

Throws:
For 3D throws i recommend starting off on the elevators and rudder at around 55degrees, and the ailerons at around 30degrees. I generally start off with around 60% expo on the radio. Work your way from these measurements at roughly 5degree increments.

For low rates i recommend setting everything at around 20degrees with around 50% expo and work your way from there at roughly 3degree increments.

Final Thoughts:
Aerobeez did a real good job on this frame, this frame snaps clean, and tracks strait and true. For 3D it harriers rock solid and over all has the same good flying charictoristics from its younger brothers.
-Orel Elbaz