• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Aerobeez 73" 30cc Sbach 300 V2

syzyguy

50cc
http://aerobeez.com/73-26-Sbach-300-30cc-Gas-3D-ARF-V2-Green.html
@Aerobeez put up a sweet deal on this model for the 3drcforums Monday deal and I could not resist. I was a day late but they were happy to still give me the deal -- thanks guys! The color scheme is great and 30cc is a good place to start for my first gasser. The Sbach is a great choice for me too -- I live halfway to space (>7000ft) so the more wing area the better. I am also really lousy with huge aileron surfaces so these wee little guys should keep my dumb thumbs from rolling this bird into the dirt.

It came packed very well -- no complains there. Thick cardboard, everything wrapped and tape suspended nicely.
20150522_151915.jpg20150522_152144.jpg20150522_152459.jpg20150522_152814.jpg
20150522_152931.jpg

The only blemish was some white gunk in front of the stab. The sticker sheet had curled up and separated too, but meh I probably wouldn't use them anyway.
20150522_152828.jpg

A quick test fit of everything -- I loooove this color scheme.
20150522_154230.jpg20150522_154248.jpg

More to come!

Last edited by a moderator:

syzyguy

50cc
The first of a few boxes from @RedwingRC arrived today! They had everything I needed to get started building this bird in stock ... and Tim and Kaitlin are pretty darn awesome. Highly recommended (but you all know that).

Plus they gave me candy. I cannot stress enough how cool that is.
:ecstatic:

I'll go over this stuff as I start installing/testing/playing.

2015-05-27 16.50.16.jpg

syzyguy

50cc
@SnowDog Yeah -- that was the main reason I pulled the trigger on it. The white with red tip prop is a perfect match for the plane too. Just need to find a matching spinner.

OK so today I accomplished a few things -- yay!!!

* Went over the whole thing with an iron to get rid of any covering wrinkles and make sure we had good adhesion.

* Thin CA'd every joint I could reach for added reliability.

* Laid a very diluted epoxy in the motor box and around the tank just to keep fuel spillage out. Also put it on the exposed wood under the gear and over the covering edges to keep it from coming up (a Chris Jewett tip)

* Built/installed the main gear. Added a few steps to Aerobeez build -- I used a Dremel to make some flat spots where the set screws push on the shaft to help it stay put and keep it from coming off. Then a drop of lube on the shaft and blue Locktite all around. I didn't install the pants since I fly off a dirt field and they'll get beat up a bit. I might add them later.

* Built/installed the tail gear except the steering rod. Same thing here with the flat spots and the Locktite

* Painted and installed all the control horns. I couldn't find the same green in my pile of paint but the red contrasts great.

20150527_205109.jpg

Tested out the electronics. I forgot this plane has 2 elevator servos so there is one more on the way. I chose PowerHD DS8309TG's all around -- they are right at the 9kg/cm recommendation from Aerobeez and are nice and light (and RedwingRC loves them for this size plane .. thanks for the comparison/testing vids guys!).

Also -- this power board is kind of great. Set the servos for 6v and loaded them all down and the voltage barely dipped on the dual 3S Lipo. I'll be running LiFe's in the final setup. Re-configured the Miracle switch+fuel dot to work the way the power box expects (shorted is off). The charge port on the switch is extra in this configuration but I may find find a use for it. I grabbed an AR9020 for under $90 by stacking coupons on top of sales on HorizonHobby ... aught to do the trick.

20150527_222429.jpg

One of the aileron hinges is binding up at only 20 degrees throw on one side because the hinge isn't perfectly aligned. A few emails back and forth with Aerobeez and they suggested just working the hinge a lot and the binding in that direction should go away .... so I'll watch a movie and massage my wing one of these days.

That's it for a few days -- the dumb 9-to-5 gets in the way of building and the weather might actually be nice this week so I can fly!

syzyguy

50cc
Been busy busy busy =( I accomplished a few things today finally!

First off I built the fuel tank. The airframe came with the tank and 3-port stopper with the vent, clunk, and fill already done up. I took it apart and gave it a peek and it was well built. Only complaint is no barbs on the outputs ... so I took care of that

20150612_102009.jpg

Then put on the fuel lines and secured them with wire. I used blue just to differentiate a little bit ... I get fuel without ethanol so the poly line should be fine (and I have a ton of it sitting around from motorcycle maintenance). Also wrote which is which so my feeble brain doesn't get confuzzled if I have to rebuild this later.

20150612_104254.jpg

Add a filter and I think we're done until I get the engine.

20150612_110550.jpg