• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

AeroWorks 52" Extra 260 Freestyle

Luv3d

70cc twin V2
Landing Gear

Putting the landing gear together was enjoyable! Not many times I've said that in the past, but this landing gear system is very nicely designed. The wheels are attached to the Carbon Fiber landing gear legs without the wheel pants connected anywhere. After the wheels are constructed like below, the wheel pant is slid down over the outside lock nut/spacer combination. These are very 'beefy' wheel pants- the inside pant is pregrooved to fit over the outside lock nut. There is a predrilled hole in the CF for the wheel pant, through which a small bolt, washer and locknut is fitted into a blind nut in the wheel pant. The entire wheel pant is supported with this structure, and it works beautifully. The wheel pants are always aligned, match each other, and don't restrict wheel rotation at all.

***One thing I did discover is that the instructions state to use a 1mm spacer between the wheel and locknut- but my kit included a 3mm spacer- I called Aeroworks about this, and found out they modified the wheels and spacer to make it all work better now. Be aware that the kit includes a 3mm spacer in place of the 1mm spacer in the instruction manual.***

Wheel assembly- bolt, wheel, spacer, locknut, CF landing gear, and securing locknut.
DSC_2438.jpg

Wheel Pant- look how beefy the inside portion of the pant is:
DSC_2452_01.jpg

The securing bolt can be seen here, under the locknut for the wheel, itself:
DSC_2450_01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Luv3d

70cc twin V2
Motor and ESC

I am powering this with an EXTREME FLIGHT Torque 2812 / 720kv motor and a 60A 6v Airboss ESC. The wattmeter shows ~850W and 60.3A on a 4S2650 (40C), at about an 80% charge. This will be a beast! I'm flying it on a 15x7 Xoar to start.

The Cowl comes pre-drilled, so you simply need to add the proper number of provided spacers behind the motor's x-mount to set your prop adapter where you want it (directions say 2.75" from the motorbox). With my motor, I needed 5 spacers and it fit perfectly. The cowl is secured with included bolts (blind nuts are already in the fuselage), and washers with rubber on the back of them, to allow compression and keep the bolts from backing out. Super design!

Note the velcro on the outer edges of the motorbox....I am using velcro to hold on the scoop- designed to 'duct' air over the ESC for efficient cooling.

DSC_2439.jpg

DSC_2449.jpg

Luv3d

70cc twin V2
Control Setup

I used the included throwmeters to set the throws for each surface. There are 2 sizes included- 1 for the Ailerons and a separate one for the Rudder / Elevator. With a 2nd set of hands, this went VERY quickly (15 minutes?). Another option is to tape the meter in place, and you can do this by yourself very easily.

I've done this on my own with previous airframes- and given the tools I had, it easily took 30 minutes up to an hour. These surfaces were set in 15 minutes, and were as close to perfect as I have been able to set- awesome!

Freestyle260_rudderthrowmeter.jpg

Freestyle260_aileronthrowmeter.jpg

Luv3d

70cc twin V2
Maiden Complete!

Maidened the aircraft the other day, and flew a few packs through it yesterday. First impressions are very positive. Tracks very well, is fast, and has PLENTY of power in the configuration (Power System) I put in this. My battery (4s2650 40C) balances about an inch or two in front of the wing tube, and I'm very happy with how it is currently balanced.

The aircraft is very light on the controls- responsive and predictable. I have only flown this in strong / gusty winds so far, so I am looking forward to flying it in some calmer weather this weekend!

I have a video, but am having just a bit of trouble with Vimeo, and the way the video format appears. It is an HD video, but may be displayed in the wrong display format.

Here is the video:

[video=vimeo;54056440]http://vimeo.com/54056440[/video]

Luv3d

70cc twin V2
Flight on 14x7 with Torque Airboss Combo

Here my first video with the power system on a 14x7 APC prop. Plenty of power, good speed. Still pretty windy conditions...

[video=vimeo;54222761]https://vimeo.com/54222761[/video]

Luv3d

70cc twin V2
Flight on 15x7 Torque Airboss Combo

Lots of torque, plenty of power, reasonable speed....see if you like it!

[video=vimeo;54222760]https://vimeo.com/54222760[/video]

gyro

GSN Contributor
hard to say for certain in the wind, but i liked the 15x7 better. What are the specs? (amps drawn, temp on motor, total mAh used, etc)

Luv3d

70cc twin V2
I'll have to get that from the bench, Gyro. I looked at a number of prop combos. EF recommends a 14x7, and my test runs show that as a very strong option. The 15" prop drops efficiency of the motor by a few percent, but not horribly. Watts on a 14x7 are only 48, with RPM around 8500. In both of those flights, I put back about 1000 to 1100 ma's. Here's a video flown by a friend in Tampa- this one's on a 14x7.

[video=vimeo;54259903]https://vimeo.com/54259903[/video]