• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Airwild 35% Edge 540T

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I was out at the field yesterday and was approached by a club member saying he had an airplane for sale. I knew he had a few giant scale planes so I asked him what he had. It turned out to be an older Composite Airwild 35% Edge 540t. I thought, boy I don't really have the room, or the money for that matter, but I asked how much. He said it was a flying airplane and he had stripped everything out for another plane. Then he tells me $50. I bought it without even seeing it.

I went and got it today and I think it was the best $50 I ever spent.

This will be more of a rebuild thread than a build. I have other projects to do first and now I need to sell two 30% planes to make some room and fund this. I plan on repainting the whole thing since I don't care for the scheme and it's had a spot painted already that doesn't match at all. I will be posting now and then when I work on it but I'm in no hurry.

Anybody ever owned or flown one of these?

20150405_135109_resized.jpg
20150405_135209_resized.jpg
20150405_135154_resized.jpg
20150405_132403_resized.jpg

Mikeq

150cc
Man...talk about lucky. Can't wait to see your new paint job. The last used 35% I bought was a PAU Edge and I gave 700 bucks for it...airframe only...

Beware...... It is a 30# slug with a DA 100 on it. Flew decent, but needs about 3# removed somehow.

Hell of a buy, I will say that!

Yea I had one of these back in the day. Had a 3W-106 on it. Like Chris said it's a pig. It will do 3D but it's not easy. Scale tumbles are nice and the tail group is fairly powerful. The way they made these, or at least mine, was to sandwich 1/8" thick fairly high density foam between fiberglass. The foam just soaks up tons of resin and the thing comes out weighing 12 or more pounds heavier than any other modern ARF. I think mine was in the neighborhood of 33 pounds and I use a minimalist setup.

I think the coolest thing about this airframe though is it is the only one I've had so far that will whistle not only with the ailerons but also the elevator. I could scream through, cut the throttle and using just elevator and aileron scream around an entire corner with it. Usually got people's attention.