• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D AJ's 93" Laser-Gas

Just purchased one of these recently and would like some feedback from some who have flown them.
Mine will be equipped with the DA70 Twin, JR8911HV servo's, Aero-Teck IBEC, Futaba Radio with 14 channel receiver set up with the Smart-Fly Micro expander.
Two into One header and pipe. Batteries? Mej 23/10 three blade and 4" TruTurn spinner with lightened back plate.
The plane came out of the packaging without a single wrinkle (amazing) and everything in tac.
I'm not using the fuel tank that come with the plane. I will use a Cranberry juice bottle with the PSP cap.
Installation of the servo's is pretty straight forward except I think I messed up a little on the Rudder control horn.
Since I'm not using the Pull Pull set up (not recommended for Gas), I cut the control horn in half and installed one Push Pull servo for the Rudder.
The link attachment hole on the horn did not come out on the hinge line so I needed a 5 1/2 Link instead of the shorter 5" link that came with the plane.
Getting the linkage arrangement from the throttle servo to the throttle arm on the motor was a little tricky, especially since DA has a short throttle arm on this motor (I have no idea why) and it's not reversible Up or Down.
I used a SWB servo arm with the rod end attached to the closest hole to the shaft.
Even with the attachment closest in to the servo shaft, I could not get the 100% throw on the servo that I like.
If I had it to do over again, I think I would make another throttle arm that would be longer and mount up with the arm positioned 180 degrees from where it is now.
I'm not sure at this point where to mount the fuel tank and batteries. It would be great if someone could provide info on best place to mount these items.
One thing I am a little concerned about; This plane is built very light and I'm almost tempted to say that
it's construction may be more suited for Electric power where there is minimal vibration.
The mounting arrangement for the Cowl is of special concern.
For gas motor applications, retaining screws have to be secure. When I tightened the screws that retain the cowl, the plywood ring inside the Cowl with the blind nuts in it broke.
The plywood ring in the Cowl does not pull up flush with the bulk head that it attaches to leaving a space in between.
I'm concerned that I can't really tighten the retaining screws like I would like to. I'm thinking about making spacers to fill the gap. That would minimize the stress on the plywood ring inside the Cowl.
If this plane will hold up under the vibration that goes with gas power, it should be really wild for the 3D guys.

Problem solved on the Cowl mounting. I found some rubber washers in my box of hardware. They're about 3/64" thick. I glued them on the Bulkhead for each of the top three Cowl retaining screws.
The tabs mounted in the Fuse. do not fully line up with the tabs at the bottom of the Cowl and I'm not real fond of using sheet metal type screws to secure the bottom of the Cowl., so I used an alternate arrangement to secure the bottom.
I feel confident now that the Cowl is securely mounted for a gas motor application.
I'm still waiting on my header and pipe to ship so more on that later.
On a positive note, I should mention that the Cowl is a high quality piece of work. It fits perfectly all the way around the fuse and the quality of the Cowl it's self is outstanding.