• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Anyone ever seen engine metal like this?

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
These pics are from a friend of mine @Cub Man , it's a YS .61 two stroke. It seemed to be running fine until is wasn't and when he took it apart he found the metal appeared to have become crystaline.

Weird!

20160328_144638.jpg
20160328_144715.jpg

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
looking at those pictures again it looks like a ball bearing or something got up there and got pounded between the piston and the head. i'll have to ask him about it

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
when i looked at it on my cell phone the metal looked like it crystallized but looking at it on a bigger screen I'd have to agree with you. I told Bill to open up the engine and look to see if anything came apart from the low end.

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
If the engine was running OK for a while, then stopped. I would think anything that came apart on the bottom end would stay down there when the engine quit. Besides, I don't know if the air/fuel passages are large enough for balls from a bearing to get around the piston.

Also pieces that are big enough to do that much damage to the top of the piston and the bottom of the head would have made one hell of a racket before the engine quit.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
The evidence is pretty clear.......and don't get fooled guys.....I have had balls, cage pieces, pieces of the bottom skirt of the piston, and anything else that decides to let lose in the bottom end make it to the combustion chamber. And a screaming engine at high rpm in the air most times has no pre noise warning.......it just locks up faster than you can say:eek: "what???" I've lost some nice spinners that way too:rolleyes:.