• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

****AVOID YOUTUBE!!!! NO 3D Flights or RC Anything!*** FAA has deemed youtube videos "Commercial"

SleepyC

150cc
http://motherboard.vice.com/read/the-faa-says-you-cant-post-drone-videos-on-youtube

• If you fly a drone and post footage on YouTube, you could end up with a letter from the Federal Aviation Administration.

Earlier this week, the agency sent a legal notice to Jayson Hanes, a Tampa-based drone hobbyist who has been posting drone-shot videos online for roughly the last year.

The FAA said that, because there are ads on YouTube, Hanes's flights constituted a commercial use of the technology subject to stricter regulations and enforcement action from the agency. It said that if he did not stop flying “commercially,” he could be subject to fines or sanctions.

"This office has received a complaint regarding your use of an unmanned aerial vehicle (aka drone) for commercial purposes referencing your video on the website youtube.com as evidence," the letter reads. "After a review of your website, it does appear that the complaint is valid."
Remember "planes = Drones" to the FAA.

WUT!??!?!?!

SleepyC

150cc
The FAA letter:
Screen Shot 2015-03-12 at 2.09.41 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-03-12 at 2.09.49 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-03-12 at 2.09.57 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-03-12 at 2.10.04 PM.png

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Unless the uploader is being paid for the advertisements in the video, then this is not a commercial operation, and the FAA is in the wrong here (as they have been throughout the entire process regarding model aviation in general).

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
A person would think Youtube would step in and clarify the situation. They stand to loose some advertising $$ if nobody can post aerial videos.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Funny that they knew where to send the letter since there is no real private info such as address on YouTube. I wonder if this was just something stupid someone pulled from their arse. I know I'll be posting tons of vids this summer and just got some fresh GoPro mounts to put on a plane so they can suck it and enjoy the video.

Last edited:

tylerzx9r

100cc
Funny that they knew where to send the letter since there is no real private info such as address on YouTube. I wonder if this was just something stupid someone pulled from their arse. I know I'll be posting tons of vids this Winter and just got some fresh GoPro mounts to put on a plane so they can suck it and enjoy the video.
I would continue to push the like button for this comment, but it doesn't allow me to more than once!

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I would continue to push the like button for this comment, but it doesn't allow me to more than once!

Just quote it again so you can like it once more! Like this:

Funny that they knew where to send the letter since there is no real private info such as address on YouTube. I wonder if this was just something stupid someone pulled from their arse. I know I'll be posting tons of vids this summer and just got some fresh GoPro mounts to put on a plane so they can suck it and enjoy the video.