• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Ball Link Hardware (and 3D Servo Arm) Question

My kit (3DHS 74" Edge) came with ball link hardware as shown here:

ball link hardware.jpg

The ball link hex-head bolts are M2. I'm trying to find a 3" rudder arm and 1.5" elevator/aileron arms. The servo arms I can find for my Hitec 5565-MH servos have holes threaded for either M3 or 4-40 size bolts.

I guess I could buy larger ball links, but then I'll have to also get the proper sized threaded pushrod.

Does anyone know of any 3D servo arms I can use with M2 bolts? Or can I just use the M2 bolts in any 3D style servo arm and be OK with a little slop?

Thanks,
Marc

gyro

GSN Contributor
My kit (3DHS 74" Edge) came with ball link hardware as shown here:

View attachment 19571

The ball link hex-head bolts are M2. I'm trying to find a 3" rudder arm and 1.5" elevator/aileron arms. The servo arms I can find for my Hitec 5565-MH servos have holes threaded for either M3 or 4-40 size bolts.

I guess I could buy larger ball links, but then I'll have to also get the proper sized threaded pushrod.

Does anyone know of any 3D servo arms I can use with M2 bolts? Or can I just use the M2 bolts in any 3D style servo arm and be OK with a little slop?

Thanks,
Marc

Hey Marc. My answer is, it depends.

On my 70" Velox that I just built, I'm using the hanger 9 metal arms, with 1.5 on elev/aileron, and the 3" on the rudder.
I'm using the ball link hardware included in the kit, and just tightening down the m2 bolts really well.

Conversely, on my 72" extra, I use the plastic heavy duty arms that came with the servos, and they work perfect. Just the right length, and the holes are about and m2 size.

Just go with what feels right.

Hey Marc. My answer is, it depends.

On my 70" Velox that I just built, I'm using the hanger 9 metal arms, with 1.5 on elev/aileron, and the 3" on the rudder.
I'm using the ball link hardware included in the kit, and just tightening down the m2 bolts really well.

Conversely, on my 72" extra, I use the plastic heavy duty arms that came with the servos, and they work perfect. Just the right length, and the holes are about and m2 size.

Just go with what feels right.

Thanks Gyro. I'll use the longest arms that came with the servos and see what kind of throws I get. After scouring the net for a bit it looks like plenty of guys are using the standard arms.

Marc