• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Bart

N726AC

70cc twin V2
Lots of us know each other,,, not like Smoothflying (Chris) and Bunky (another Chris) know each other, but there are many great friends and casual acquaintances here. My question is: who is Bart? Just wanna know who has a grip on the steering wheel here. :D

I read something here about @Bart inviting [MENTION=5]SleepyC[/MENTION] over to another forum, perhaps after the F*ingGiants debacle and they decided to spin this up. But I may have misunderstood what was said in that post.

SleepyC

150cc
Well I'll let Bart fill you in but here's how we are in business together.

Several years ago (3 I think) I was getting WAY into Aerial Video and heavy lift multi rotors. Although I worked for RCG/FG the info I was looking for was not there. So I came across Barts site multirotorforums.com. I started an account using my SleepyC name and started reading and asking some questions. Well Bart saw my name as though "Oh crap RCG is spying on me and they are going to mount an attack" I mean I understand that, as he didn't know me. SO he PM'ed me and asked if I was SleepyC from FG and RCG and such, I responded yes, and that I was just there to use his site for my personal information and that I was not there to spam or mess with his site. SO after a week or so of me not being a scammer, Bart PM'ed me something else and we started talking more and more. After about 6 months we became pretty good friends and world talk Multirotors and also help each other with info about stuff. The I also found out he was a 777 pilot and he had been flying RC planes for like 30 years. Our friendship grew. That year Bart also came out to Toledo and brought me an XY8 he designed. I was using it to start doing some aerial coverage of FG and also my personal AV stuff. We had an awesome time in Toledo, he proved to me that he was a capable (not Sleepy professional) but capable beer drinker, and even my wife Amy like the dude.

SO.. that's the way it stayed for a long time. Good buds talking on the phone dealing with problems and web related stuff.

So, when my position changed drastically Bart asked if I would come and work with him on MRF, that it would at least allow me to stay in the industry and allow me to continue to test MR stuff and help people. SO I said yes and I started to work with MRF.

About two days after I was sacked, I had been still getting like 15 - 20 calls a day from people in the industry letting me know that they thought what happened completely sucked and they would love to support me if I ever decided to do anything. SO I went to bed that night all confused and kind of bummed out. I work up at 3am and said GIANT SCALE NEWS. It's not super flashy, but it's an honest name. And I want the site to be a really good source of news for the members as well. So the next morning I called Bart and asked if he would like to help me build an entire new site called Giant Scale News. And I would like to continue on doing event coverage and bringing the news of Giant Scale Planes to everyone I could and continue building on the relationships I had had the honor to make over the years. Bart said "I'm in on one condition. You go back to being happy, in charge Sleepy and put all the corporate BS you were dealing with behind you." I said DEAL and here we are.

Bart is a good dude and a pretty good Yin to my moronic.

SO anyways.. that's who Bart "the glorified air bus driver" is.

And that's how this happened.

Or as Paul Harvey would have said, and now you know the rest of the story...

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
That's about it. Thanks for the honest shake Steve.

as for RC and planes, I think my first attempt at a build was when I was 7 (maybe 8) with a Guillows Cub that the cat knocked off my little workbench before I could make much progress with it. I tried a couple of more times building plastic models, more balsa Guillows kits and around 1974 I started getting a Cox U/C plane every year at Christmas and it was spring 1976 (8 yrs old) that I first successfully flew control line (I know it was 1976 because I wrapped the lines around a little tree that the town had planted for the Bicentennial celebrations). Then my uncle gave me his old Sig Twister with a McCoy .35 (I still have it and a half completed new Twister build for it) and I took that thing to the park for years crashing/rebuilding/crashing/rebuilding until I finally had my first real RC plane around 1983, a Sig Kadet MkII. Then came a Kavalier, Swizzle Stick, Phaeton II, Kaos, Super Kaos, GP Super Decathlon, Craft Air Firebird....i'm probably forgetting a few....then college, work, family, house....

Built a Sig 1/4 Scale Clipped Wing Cub back around 2002 and that got me into bigger planes. Along the way I was building a full scale Skybolt but sold it to start a Pitts Model 12. That didn't go very far because we moved and I didn't have time or money and then came a really nice Pitts S1-SS project that I should never have sold but I needed the money to start my own aerial media business using multi-rotor helicopters. That was around 2010 and I started the website Jan, 2011. Since then I've been totally consumed by the website, the media company, maintaining heli's and haven't flown much fixed wing (except the 777 :) ).

SleepyC knows a lot about keeping folks happy and it was hard to watch him get beat up by Bourke Enterprises with Jim T. at the helm. Jim "This website ain't big enough for the both of us" T. pushed Sleepy out so he could be the big man, a feat he couldn't do by hard work and natural charm alone. I thought having Steve contribute at MultiRotorForums.com was going to be a great boost to the site but when the GiantScaleNews.com idea popped up I couldn't pass it up. Steve's a hard working guy and he'll work himself to the bone to get the job done, you know it, i know it, it's good for us that Jim B. was too distracted to know it for himself.

We're not looking back and this is the last I'll make reference to GiantScaleNews. I'm loving working with SleepyC and I'm loving being in with you guys full time. I just need to get a huge plane so I can be back out flying more often. My last giant was a 94" Lanier Edge but I wrecked it when the engine sputtered on short final. I like rebuilding old planes so don't be surprised if you meet me and I'm flogging another old Lanier or something. I've got an old Aero-Tech Akromaster that I love very much, just needs a new engine.

Onward and upward!

Bart

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
Great stuff. I was wondering who bart was. We will get you into some big fixed wings soon.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
thanks Gandhi...lol

@ericb, i'm trying to make it to South Jersey to go look at a big Cap 232 next Sunday.....i'm excited about that one.

Islandflyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Bart, from you first email, it was clear that you and Sleepy were going to make this a nice home.

It was always clear to that Sleepy was good people, and it's great to see him finally find a comfortable place to hang and work.

I hope to meet you in person soon...

N726AC;2560 wrote: Lots of us know each other,,, not like Smoothflying (Chris) and Bunky (another Chris) know each other, but there are many great friends and casual acquaintances here. My question is: who is Bart? Just wanna know who has a grip on the steering wheel here. :D

Campos, aka dumpster is the special one. I'm not special at all.