• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Best 3s 2200mAh?

3DMad5

50cc
I want to get some more 3s 2200mAh batteries, because that's what my entire fleet runs on. I've been using the HobbyKing Zippy 3s 2200mAh 20C packs because they're dirt cheap (I like cheap :p), but I haven't really been impressed with them. After a few flights, maybe 5 at most, some of them have started puffing. As my largest ESC is only a 40 amp I can't be pulling too much current, so clearly they're not the best quality packs out there. What I want to know is, what is? I'm not looking for super-uber-high-performance, but a 25-30c pack for mild 3D, sub $20 would be great.

maxx4wd

50cc
I have converted all my HK packs to the Glacier 2200s 35C (buddyrc.com)- although they aren't sub $20 they are just a hair above that. These batteries perform as good as any I've tried so far, even the more expensive brands. I have about 30 cycles on them so far have not had one puff or lose any significant capacity - I parallel charge 5 packs at a time at roughly 1.5C and use them primarily for 3d - but they do see duty in the funcub and fpv gliders once in a while. Also, these C rating seem to be more accurate than what I've found from the C ratings from HK - especially the nanotechs. hope this helps some.

Buick Mackane

70cc twin V2
i like the glaciers as well. they come with your choice of plug and a balance plug extension pre-installed. another plus is buddy rc gets them to me fast. it helps that i'm in michigan and they're in ohio, but i've waited for three/four weeks for zippy's. so far the glaciers have out-performed the zippy's. the internal resistance after forty flights is still about the same as when they were new. i try to keep my flights at 5 minutes, so i don't push them too hard. i've had three zippy's that started to sizzle after a few flights, and trying to get them replaced was a waste of time. Gary Mount at buddy rc is a good guy to deal with if you have any issues

If you like the Glaciers and GensAce packs, take a look at the ValueHobby Elite series... I started looking for a good 3S/3300 pack when my Rhinos and NanoTechs started going bad. Cell for cell they're about the lightest thing out there, and a 30C pack seems to perform like other brands' 45C packs. Close to 200 flights later, and the only degradation I notice is the small pin-hole I put in the shrink wrap when I stuffed my Mojo at Athol last summer.

Now I've got VH's Elite Series 6S/5000's on the big 50cc (avatar)... the 40C packs are performing just like the smaller 3S packs I've played with, and I ended up with a set of 60C packs that are getting me 2-3 extra minutes of flight time over the 40C's...

-Case

gyro

GSN Contributor
I've only got Glaciers right now, personally. I like that I can get Gary Mount on the phone real quick at BuddyRC if I've ever got a question.
That, and the glacier packs are lighter than nearly all others, and priced right too. Not to mention I've tried all the "value / budget" brands and they rarely hold up.

Looking forward to trying some Yellow Jackets soon too!

phonic

New to GSN!
FWIW I've been running the 3S 2200 40C Zippy packs for the last year with hundreds of flights on them in the 48" Edge, 3DHS 58" Edge without any issues at all.
Tried TPs, TGY NanoTech, Hyperions etc - to be honest I haven't felt any difference other than in my bank account.
I've hit 10V/pack numerous times, left them fully charged for a couple of weeks and generally abused them.
Was thinking twice about posting this as I'm about to order more and I don't want them out of stock.
Back to back flying doesn't get cheaper than this.