• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Best vehicle to transport Giant Scale

50%plane

30cc
I'm looking at a new vehicle that can handle taking my planes to the field. I'm wondering what y'all are using with success these days. I had a truck and trailer, and that was great, but I can't store it at the new house. I have had a Suburban in the past, which was great for planes, but I won't own a chevy again. What vehicles are you hauling your 40%'s in?

Chris

sweetpea

100cc
Minivans and Tahoe, Suburban, Extended Expeditions are the best choices.

I have not found much of anything else that you don't have to take the plane apart more to fit it in.

Excursion, Expedition for the Ford line. I just bought a new '14 F150 with the 3.7L V6. And I also bought a 14' V nose trailer to go with it. Cant haul airplanes in a 5' long bed. Fortunately, I got the extended cab and 6.5' bed. Still wont put an airplane in the bed.

Excursion, Expedition for the Ford line. I just bought a new '14 F150 with the 3.7L V6. And I also bought a 14' V nose trailer to go with it. Cant haul airplanes in a 5' long bed. Fortunately, I got the extended cab and 6.5' bed. Still wont put an airplane in the bed.
How does that 3.7L pull the trailer?

If you like vans the new Ford transit van would be perfect. Just bought 7 of them for part of our emergency fleet. It is a 350 long with mid roof. Mega room, more than enough power with the 3.7L V6 and I was getting 17mpg at 75mph with one of them. As a comparison our standard height Chevy vans get around 14 or worse with less room. Plus ride is no comparison. The transit rides almost like a car.

Last edited:

50%plane

30cc
I'm looking for something that can be dual purpose... drop the kids at daycare during the week, and take the planes to the field on the weekend... Does anyone have any experience with the Toyota 4runner? I don't really want to take the tail off of my H9 Ultimate, but the Pilot Sbach wouldn't be too bad..

Also, the wife has to okay the vehicle and the Ford Flex is "ugly toaster" status, so that one is out... haha

Phil.Griffin

70cc twin V2
I'm looking for something that can be dual purpose... drop the kids at daycare during the week, and take the planes to the field on the weekend... Does anyone have any experience with the Toyota 4runner? I don't really want to take the tail off of my H9 Ultimate, but the Pilot Sbach wouldn't be too bad..

Also, the wife has to okay the vehicle and the Ford Flex is "ugly toaster" status, so that one is out... haha
Mini-van.. Used my wife's for a couple years prior to getting the trailer..

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Which year 4Runner? I used to work for Toyota so I know a slew of info about them up until 2012 range.

Maybe take a look at a Volvo XC70?

Thats funny about the flex. I love them and wife hates the look. But everyone I know that owns one loves it. You can do a lot with them. Just get the ecoboost version and you have your sleeper also.

Last edited: