• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Bridi Dalotel 84" Engine Recommends

RCPal

30cc
Hi Fellows I am quite new to GSN. I have found it to be a great place for info on everything. so now I'm looking for a bit of input.
I recently acquired a Bridi Dalotel 84". I don't as yet have it in my little hands to look at it, but am researching a suitable engine.
The airplane calls for a .91cu. in. or 15cc. I find this to be rather small on a plane of this span.
I fly 80+" span at 10 or 12lbs. with 35cc. gas and seems about right for the performance I want.
So I am thinking an RCGF 21cc Twin or a RCGF 30cc. Twin may be suitable.
Please any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.

John

pawnshopmike

Staff member
I know a couple people that have the OS GT22. Seems to be a really sweet running engine. Very quite. Only problem is they are currently out of stock. I assume that has something to do with the Hobbico Bankruptcy.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Hi John and welcome to GSN :shake:. It was quite some time ago but a dear friend of mine flew the Bridi Dalotel with a Saito 270 twin.

I remember the performance of the engine being very suited to that plane. So I would say at least a 40cc twin if not the 50cc twin RCGF offers to get the performance you speak of.

RCPal

30cc
Hi John and welcome to GSN :shake:. It was quite some time ago but a dear friend of mine flew the Bridi Dalotel with a Saito 270 twin.

I remember the performance of the engine being very suited to that plane. So I would say at least a 40cc twin if not the 50cc twin RCGF offers to get the performance you speak of.
You may be right. A 40cc twin may very likely not output as much as a 35cc single. My singles run with cans that are giving me 7800 on 18" props.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
That is an old design from the late 60’s or early 70’s if I am not mistaken it is a pattern plane. It two big cheeks on it. Well it would have to be twin to look good. Depends what you want to do I have a similar plane at 87 inch wing span with 40cc and at 16 lbs and it fly’s great will do everything. Do not try to put 3D hp into a normal flying plane. It just makes it to heavy and start to fly like a war bird. One thing I have never flown at that altitude so I could not tell you how much you need to compensate for that.
And I almost forgot welcome to GSN.

RCPal

30cc
Yes Snoopy it was a pattern plane designed by Hanno Prettner. Able to compete in F3A or IMAC. Checking weights on various engines with the .90 2cycle being lightest at 24oz a Saito 1.8 at 44oz and a VVRC 40cc twin at 46oz. there is a bit of a weight penalty.
I am also an old fabric and dope kind of guy. I am thinking this plane was designed before we started putting servos in the tail so that is one way to get the CG without adding much more. I don't compete anymore but I do fly like I'm competing and always do turnaround type maneuvers. Like airplanes that don't have to dive and will do as big a loop or upline as I want. Not into 3D. It is a bit small but maybe very good to evaluate the design and blow it up a bit for the next one.
Thank you fellows for your input, it makes a person widen their point of view. I do believe I will go with the 40cc and Ahem manage throttle closely. Perhaps have to beef up a few spots like firewall.

John

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Yes Snoopy it was a pattern plane designed by Hanno Prettner. Able to compete in F3A or IMAC. Checking weights on various engines with the .90 2cycle being lightest at 24oz a Saito 1.8 at 44oz and a VVRC 40cc twin at 46oz. there is a bit of a weight penalty.
I am also an old fabric and dope kind of guy. I am thinking this plane was designed before we started putting servos in the tail so that is one way to get the CG without adding much more. I don't compete anymore but I do fly like I'm competing and always do turnaround type maneuvers. Like airplanes that don't have to dive and will do as big a loop or upline as I want. Not into 3D. It is a bit small but maybe very good to evaluate the design and blow it up a bit for the next one.
Thank you fellows for your input, it makes a person widen their point of view. I do believe I will go with the 40cc and Ahem manage throttle closely. Perhaps have to beef up a few spots like firewall.

John
Well if you like coveral and dope then I think you may like this. This is a scratch built from my Own design an 80 inch wing span pattern plane. Covered and painted with Stits. And the plane weight is 16 lbs wet ready to take off, it has a 3W-42 in it and fly’s great. Not totally unlimited but good enough to play around on a weekend.
2500712A-4682-445A-AE4B-83623ADC2AF1.jpeg
9B8DCFAA-848B-4FB7-919D-BBD0055FA07F.jpeg