Welcome To GiantScaleNews.com

GSN is the BEST in an RC online community. Less corporate BS and more down home fun. Better conversations with REAL RC'ers. Don't settle for the biggest when you can have the best!
  1. If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Question? C Rating

Discussion in 'Batteries / Chargers / Power Supplies' started by Bushwacker, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Bushwacker

Bushwacker 3DRCF Moderator

Just wanted to get some confirmation. C ratings are 5 amps per c right so 1C is 5amp 2C = 10 and just multiply up as you go right?

2. Xpress

Xpress GSN Sponsor Tier 1

No. C rating is 1x the capacity of the pack. So for a 500mah pack, 1C is 0.5 amps.

There are 1000mah in 1 amp, because a milli is 1/1000.

A pack with a 30C discharge is 30x the capacity of the pack, so for a 500mah pack, that's 15 amps. Or for a 5000mah pack, that's 150 amps.

3. Bushwacker

Well crap I couldn't of been more wrong could I.

4. The C rating can also be helpful when charging as well. As an example a pack with a capacity of 4300 mAh; a 1C charge rate would be 4.3 amps, 2C charge would be 8.6 amps, 3C charge would be 12.9 amps.......etc.

5. Bushwacker

Thanks much guys I understand now.

6. PRC_Robin

PRC_Robin SITE SPONSOR GSN SPONSOR

You can also think of C rating in terms of time, when charging or discharging. 1C = 1 hour, 2C = 30 minutes, 3C = 20 minutes, etc.

So the next time you see a 150C rated battery, take it with a grain or two of salt. :)

7. Xpress

Xpress GSN Sponsor Tier 1

The only company that I can think of that has a really truthful C rated pack is ThunderPower, though I will say my big HK 6s packs have been holding pretty true to their 30c rating. I've noticed one of them has a cell that's starting to take a dump though :banghead:

Who would have ever thought there'd be so much info to learn about a hobby we do for fun LOL.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2015
  8. Bushwacker

You said it brother.

9. 3dmike

3dmike 640cc Uber Pimp

:) Well put Robin!

10. cam4569

cam4569 70cc twin V2

so as a clarifying question to an old thread. If I have a 3000mah 3s 20C, that would be rated for 6A correct? Is that the max safe draw for the battery? I assume that the battery would provide the full voltage and power for as long as it has any charge in it (think of a direct short). Would you notice a power difference to the motor running a 40C over a 20C battery pack? Also this may be a bit off topic but if I have a 6A pack (20C 3000) why will it run a 45A esc? I have a basic understanding of electricity just trying to clarify.