• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D CAP 232-ST design / build / prototype

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I was going to wait to start this but I figured I'd show some steps of the design process for a plane. This thread is going to take few months but I'd really like to fly the plane as soon as it get's warm out in Spring.

I've thought about this several times and it's taken me some time to warm up to the design of the CAP honestly. I've got some good ideas and am looking forward to taking the "snap" out of the CAP!!

My design goals for this is to make a plane in the 26-27lb range with killer 3D flight envelope and is stable enough for ANYONE to be comfortable with. The goal is not to maintain scale outlines (sorry IMAC guy's) but it will look like a CAP when done. Mainly surface areas are going to change to modern standards, wing is going to come up slightly but still be low enough to "look" like a low wing plane.

I have not even put any lines on the CAD work on this yet, but intend to in the next week or so. I am going to start to work on the layout soon though.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I have been kicking this around for a year or two now. So, a friend told me about a sale where there was a variety of things. So we piled in the truck and drove 300 miles round trip to pick up some stuff and I picked up this old CAP cowl that is really really beat up and honestly is pretty ugly. I'm going to be modifying the front, the sides, the bottom and completely changing the F-1 former shape. Widening the backside at least an inch and also setting it up so the cowl ring can be flush with the back of the cowl. Even after I bathed this thing in lacquer thinner to wash out the dirt and junk it still weighs almost 24oz!!

I'm also including a few pics of the version of the cowl that I will be replicating. I'm not sure about the snorkel though. what are the cap-lovers thoughts on the snorkel??

1968921.jpg
0869996.jpg

Attachments

• _DSC0396.JPG
    _DSC0396.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 468
  • _DSC0397.JPG
    _DSC0397.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 450
  • _DSC0398.JPG
    _DSC0398.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 449
  • _DSC0399.JPG
    _DSC0399.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 435
  • fai cap 232 p.jpg
    fai cap 232 p.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 492

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
the bottom of the real cowls isn't as boxy as that one that you have. the snorkel probably ought to be there but doesn't have to be as pronounced as it is in that first photo.

and i see you do what i also do to rebuild old snotty cowls with the masking tape. i was going to make a video about doing that for the beginners' area.

it's amazing how small a Cap 232 really is.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Cool, another project. I wish I worked at a quarter of your speed, I would have finished several planes this year.;)

The looks of the snorkel is very dependent on color choice. With some colors where it makes them look less pronounced they look fine, but like in the picture of the white one it looks like a giant proboscis.

One thing that I've never noticed before until looking at your pics is how blunt the leading edge is at the root on the Cap.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
and i see you do what i also do to rebuild old snotty cowls with the masking tape. i was going to make a video about doing that for the beginners' area.
it's amazing how small a Cap 232 really is.

This one I'm just basically filling, There are going to be really large chunks of this cowl removed, and re-shaped, but you are correct.....I've done some pretty extensive re-work on cowls before with tape, milled fibers and resin. If you do a thread I'll try to chime in. I just got a PM from a GSN member this AM that I "might" be helping with a little repair on a huge cowl yet this winter.