• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Cold Weather Engine Starts — in 10 Easy Steps

GSNadmin

Staff member
As the weather turns colder, it’s a good time to revisit some cold-engine starting techniques. Have some tips for flying in colder conditions? Leave them in the comments section!

1. Turn on your transmitter and receiver.

2. Fully open the throttle.

3. Watch for fuel in the line and cover the throttle opening with your finger. Firmly grip the propeller, and rotate it until the fuel is just up to the carb. Don’t flip it! Now turn the prop over–twice, if it’s warmer than 50 degrees F; three times, if it’s colder–to prime the engine.

4. With the glow plug disconnected, flip the engine over six to eight times.

5. Close the throttle and move the trim to fully up. This should open the throttle barrel a little more. The throttle should be about 1/4 open.

6. Grab the prop firmly, and rotate the engine until it passes through the compression part of the stroke. You should feel the engine “kick.” If it does, it will now start on the first or second flip. Always use a chicken stick or electric starter for starting. If the engine doesn’t start, flip the prop a few times with the glow plug disconnected, and try again. If it doesn’t kick now, choke it one more time with the throttle fully open, flip the prop a few more times, reposition the throttle, light the glow plug, and try again.

7. If, when your engine starts, it just revs up and quits, turn the high-speed needle valve 1/2 turn counterclockwise to open it, and try again. Repeat this if necessary.

8. If the engine starts, slows down and quits, and if a lot of smoke comes out of the exhaust, turn the high-speed needle valve clockwise to make the mixture leaner, 1/4 turn at a time. Restart the engine.

9. When the engine has started, hold the throttle partially open, and let the engine warm up for at least one minute before making the final adjustments.

10. Most engines are harder to start when they’re hot. To start a hot engine, draw the fuel up to the carb, but don’t choke or prime it. Open the throttle to 1/4. Flip the prop hard. Use and electric starter, if you have one available.

Model Airplane News - The #1 resource for RC plane and helicopter enthusiasts featuring news, videos, product releases and tech tips.

Continue reading...

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
All I can say the person that wrote this has never flew in really cold weather in the snow. If you do all the procedures he goes through your hands will be frozen before you get it started. One thing you will also learn in a hurry is not to get glow fuel on your hands or fingers.
You get started at home and tuned for the weather at home. Get warned up and hands warm fill the plane at get everything ready then go to the field to fly. And always start the engine with a starter, in the cold weather your fingers get num quite quick and becomes hard to start an engine.

Last edited:

Wild man

70cc twin V2
Haven't flown glow for years,. here is what we did for cold weather starts we used a heat gun to warm up the motor, doesn't take very long at all and starts with a single flip of the wrist. used a 12 volt converter to run the 110 heat gun. For what is worth,try it you may like this method Ski's? i only fly off snow with Floats. That way in the spring and summer I do not have to change the landing gear to fly off water. With soft deep snow Ski's dig in and flip the plane, floats have the integrity To ride on top this is known as LGP (LOW GROUND PRESSURE) Just like Bulldozers with very wide tracks IMO.

Last edited:

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Haven't flown glow for years,. here is what we did for cold weather starts we used a heat gun to warm up the motor, doesn't take very long at all and starts with a single flip of the wrist. used a 12 volt converter to run the 110 heat gun. For what is worth,try it you may like this method Ski's? i only fly off snow with Floats. That way in the spring and summer I do not have to change the landing gear to fly off water. With soft deep snow Ski's dig in and flip the plane, floats have the integrity To ride on top this is known as LGP (LOW GROUND PRESSURE) Just like Bulldozers with very wide tracks IMO.
One of my flying buddies uses a heat gun and a generator as well. works great for him!