• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

DA-150, any advice when buying used?

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
Hi @DATech

I'm in the market for a good used DA150 and I've seen comments about some of your other models where there are different versions out there (ie, lower quality drone engines, etc.) so I was wondering you have any advice for someone purchasing a used DA150.

Thanks in advance!
Bart

-Rick-

100cc
I as well would like to know, not ready to purchase yet but will be looking for a used DA150,170 in the new year.

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
I'd stay away from the used drones unless you intend to do your own rebuild, etc. DA has stated they will NOT work on them. I'm flying the old tried and true Non-L version and gotta say, it is the smoothest running engine I've ever had. On RE3's it hauls my big Raven around with ease.

Seen some great deals in the $650-800 range, some with fresh DA overhauls. Of course, that takes a lot of guesswork out of the equation.

As for the 170, it's a great engine, and I have given thought every now & then about replacing my 150. But every time I go fly the Raven I come away thinking, WoW...why do I need any more power in this plane. I'm flying advanced IMAC now...so maybe after a year or two there I'll have a different opinion :confused:

Last edited:

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
but what do you look for to avoid buying a lesser quality engine like a drone engine.

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Never seen any up close, but in pics, they usually some funky looking mufflers and air intake systems. Also, from what I've read they're usually recovered from crashed drone, so some damage by be visible...or hidden. Also seen pics with non-typical mounts on the crankcase, and generally a "ran-hard-put-away-wet look", if you know what I mean....tired looking.

I'm sure Tony can elaborate much more than I.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
I wonder what sizes are potentially out there intermingled in the RC used market?

just started shopping, was going to go with a DA120 for my big Cap but saw that Carden originally spec'd a 3W 140cc so I think I'm just going to go with the 150.

Thanks Earle!

Patroller

70cc twin V2
On the drone engine problem, have the seller give you the serial number before purchasing it and verify it with DA.

-Rick-

100cc
So you can't tell by the serial number other than giving DA a call? Are there many DA drone engines out and about?

Patroller

70cc twin V2
I don't know if there is a way to figure it out other than calling. I do remember Tony or someone else over there at DA who gave this bit of advice.

-Rick-

100cc
I never even thought of the drone engines, I didn't realize people were trying to pass them off as r/c motors! I'm glad this thread came about!

Which is why I ask if there many out there?