• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Discussion Did Sig stop selling wood?

Larry B

70cc twin V2
I am starting to look for some balsa & spruce for my next project and upon checking the Sig web site I could not find any spruce or balsa.
Did they stop selling wood all together?

It looks like if you want to buy some spruce now the only option is to go with Aircraft Spruce & Speciality, I have dealt with them for all my "full scale" airplane needs now I guess I go with them for the models also.

Larry B

Bipeguy03

150cc
I am starting to look for some balsa & spruce for my next project and upon checking the Sig web site I could not find any spruce or balsa.
Did they stop selling wood all together?

It looks like if you want to buy some spruce now the only option is to go with Aircraft Spruce & Speciality, I have dealt with them for all my "full scale" airplane needs now I guess I go with them for the models also.

Larry B

If you used the Sig Planes web site they don't list it there. Use the Sig MFG site and its under the building materials tab.

http://sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmart.exe/IndexBuidlingMaterialsEquipmentF.html?E+Sig

Larry B

70cc twin V2
BipeGuy,
Now that you mention it all I did see was airplanes, I did not know they had different web sites!

js-rc,
I'll check out their site when I have a few extra minutes. I am always looking for some good balsa, balsa USA has always been great to deal with but they don't have spruce, only bass wood for spars.

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
As long as you don't use National. Most of a couple of $100 of balsa i bought there was unusable, by the time I opened up the full purchase they claimed it was too late to return. I never did. :)

A 2x4x3' section remains a doorstop to this day as a reminder.

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I received split, cracked sheets, some as brown as a football, warped sheets, heavy blocks and chunks. It was a mess, I don't think I used much of the $200 - $300 order. Long ago though, probably 10 years or so. I never went back.

Doc

50cc
I have used National several times and was pleased with what I received, I used to use an small independent guy in Texas (when I lived there) and he had the nicest stuff I ever got but he's gone now.
Doc

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I have used National several times and was pleased with what I received, I used to use an small independent guy in Texas (when I lived there) and he had the nicest stuff I ever got but he's gone now.
Doc

I loved Lonestar balsa. Still have some of their wood.

BalsaDust

Well I ordered some balsa from sig through my lhs. Can't wait to see how it compares to other stuff I have used.