• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Dual rates

njswede

150cc
Hi Joe!

To what extent do you use dual rates (or however many rates you have on your radio)? I used it in the beginning and kept switching depending on what I was trying to do, but found it utterly confusing. Now I just have full 3D rates all the time and a boatload of expo.

What do you think? Is it worth the pain of learning to use one more control or should I just happily keep flying with a single rate?

I fly with triple rates and those are high rate, normal fly around rate, and snap rate. Normally when I just go for a demo flight or something I just fly on high rates, but when I am flying a routine to music or an IMAC routine, I am constantly switching between different rates.

It's more of a personal preference than anything else. If you want to get into some precision flying then I would highly recommend a low rate. If you are mainly a 3d guy, then stick with the single rate.

lugnutz

30cc
when i maiden a new plane i use low rates just so i get a feel for what the plane is gonna do,then switch to a medium rate which is kind of more aggressive,then when i am a little more comfortable i use a high rate full recommended rate

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
I fly with triple rates and those are high rate, normal fly around rate, and snap rate. Normally when I just go for a demo flight or something I just fly on high rates, but when I am flying a routine to music or an IMAC routine, I am constantly switching between different rates.

It's more of a personal preference than anything else. If you want to get into some precision flying then I would highly recommend a low rate. If you are mainly a 3d guy, then stick with the single rate.
Joe and how do you treat your expo between those rates, do they remain the same or go down with less throws?

I setup a snap rate that basically gives me the perfect amount of rudder, aileron, and elevator for a snap roll. Of course a snap is different in every orientation (vertical, 45 upline, ect...).

Joe and how do you treat your expo between those rates, do they remain the same or go down with less throws?

The lower rate is usually around 35-45% expo and high rate is usually around 60-65% expo. I am constantly tweaking the expos to get the rates to feel the same around center though. You shouldn't be able to tell what rate you are in by just flying around the pattern.

Hey Shoe,

I haven't owned a T-28 so I don't want to give any wrong information about the rates and expo for it. I suspect that the manual would give you a good idea about what rates and expos to use. Sorry I couldn't be of more help, I just don't want to give advice on something I don't have any experience with.