• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

DX8 or not?

njswede

150cc
When I got into this wonderful hobby, I found a used old school DX7 on Wattflyer that I've been using since then. Not that I have a lot to compare it to, but it's been working great for me.

However, I starting to think I should upgrade to something a bit more advanced. The question is whether the DX8 has enough features compared to the DX7 to warrant an upgrade. Ok, one advantage is to have a spare TX if something should happen to the primary one. But other than that, what do you think? (And you guys know I'm cheap, so any expense that's not "needed" makes my wallet ache...)

EDIT: Another thing I think I need is triple rates...

Steve_B

70cc twin V2
NJ,

that was the exact upgrade path i went through.. DX7 to DX8. Personally I'm very happy with the upgrade. After i sold the old DX7 and allowing for the three new rx's and telemetry unit that came in the package the new Tx actually cost me nothing, in fact they paid me to take it off their hands;) The new features that I use all the time:
  • Tripple rates
  • Switchable throttle curves (make programming an idle much easier too)
  • Telemetry
  • Throttle activated timer (never forget again!)
  • 2048 resolution and 11ms latency
Plus you have the security of DSMX and a whole host of other nice stuff. I got one of the LiPo Tx packs from Hobbyking and only have to charge once per month.

Last edited by a moderator:

gyro

GSN Contributor
When I got into this wonderful hobby, I found a used old school DX7 on Wattflyer that I've been using since then. Not that I have a lot to compare it to, but it's been working great for me.

However, I starting to think I should upgrade to something a bit more advanced. The question is whether the DX8 has enough features compared to the DX7 to warrant an upgrade. Ok, one advantage is to have a spare TX if something should happen to the primary one. But other than that, what do you think? (And you guys know I'm cheap, so any expense that's not "needed" makes my wallet ache...)

EDIT: Another thing I think I need is triple rates...

NJ,

that was the exact upgrade path i went through.. DX7 to DX8. Personally I'm very happy with the upgrade. After i sold the old DX7 and allowing for the three new rx's and telemetry unit that came in the package the new Tx actually cost me nothing, in fact they paid me to take it off their hands;) The new features that I use all the time:
  • Tripple rates
  • Switchable throttle curves (make programming an idle much easier too)
  • Telemetry
  • Throttle activated timer (never forget again!)
  • 2048 resolution and 11ms latency
Plus you have the security of DSMX and a whole host of other nice stuff. I got one of the LiPo Tx packs from Hobbyking and only have to charge once per month.

I went Dx6, Dx7, to Dx8. I'm very happy with it, and enjoy the telemetry and "high-speed" 11ms capability when used with the AR8000 receiver. I have all my rates setup to work off the rudder switch, as it's 3 position, and on the right side where I like it :)

So... essentially the same reasons Steve likes it :)

Aerosi

30cc
In my opinion, its worth the upgrade...especially since you plan on sticking with Spektrum, I think you will feel the jump, and then be able to justify and feel better about the extra cash you spent. I've heard/known of a few folks that were on DX6i's or DX7's that upgraded to DX8 and felt a definite difference in the performance of their 3D planes. I'm on a DX6i now, and although I decided to switch brands, the DX8 was well in the running and for a while made the most logical sense. In my thought process, very similar to what Steve_B already mentioned, here's where the DX8 scored points:

Higher resolution, triple rates (good call on that one), telemetry (especially for rx voltage), backlit display, increased model memory, timer start w/ throttle, 5 pt throttle curves, easy software upgrade capability, easy and familiar programming, backwards compatibility with current rx's, and the availability of $6 "compatible" rx's for my cheaper models.

I found the transmitter only here at Esprit Model for a decent price. Most other places I looked it was $25 more. I probably would have gone with the tx/rx typical package that you find for $429 that includes the AR8000 + TM1000 since the cost of those together if you buy separately is about double the price difference between "tx only" and "package." Plus I imagine it would be hard to notice a performance upgrade w/o that upgraded rx. Of course, you could hold off for a while and keep saving your money for an ultimate purchase of the DX18...probably the last tx you will ever buy! ;) About double the cost, yes, but MAN do you get a lot for your money!

BTW...not sure why in my first paragraph the words "the extra" are linked to another page, I didn't add a link or anything. GYRO might know? I either screwed something up or broke it :sadface:

Last edited by a moderator:
I know the most popular radios sold in my store are the DX6i and the DX8. Wish I had a DX 18 myself but can't take the hit on my new JR 11. Dennis

Ahmed

30cc
I got mine about a year ago and still love that radio. I had the DX6, DX6i, DX7 and DX8.
The best price I found is ultimatehobbies.com $364 complete with rcver and telemetry and $299 for radio only. When I got mine even thought I bought it from Ultimate, it shipped from Horizon directly to me.

njswede

150cc
I have a friend who just got one and who's having buyer's remorse. I might turn his misery into my gain... :)