• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Eflite Beast 60e

gyro

GSN Contributor
Hey guys, my good friend (and "Master Builder") Drew is going to help me get our Beast 60e built so we can finish our review.

He'll be posting a comprehensive log of the build, and detailing his awesome techniques for doing it right the first time.

The setup:

Motrolfly 4320-450kv with 18x8 APC prop
Castle Creations Talon 90 ESC
Glacier 45c 5000mah batteries
Hitec HS-5245mg servos on ailerons
Hitec HS-7945mg servos on elevator/rudder
JR matchbox for the 4 ailerons
Spektrum AR635 AS3X Gyro Receiver
Spektrum TM1000 telemetry system for fight pack voltage and motor temp

Any questions along the way, please ask!

Drew

70cc twin V2
Hey, thanks Gary !!! I dont know about master, but I do the best work I can and as clean as I can. :D

So, lets have a look at whats in the kit.

SAM_0170.JPG

Fuse and all contents are nicely packed and protected

SAM_0171.JPG

Little addendum included on a motor and ESC NOT to use.

SAM_0174.JPG

Nice CF wing tubes, but painted aluminum main gear. Feels pretty light and very strong. Also, the wheel pants in this kit are surprisingly strong and thick for this size kit. Should hold up well for those harrier landings. :D

SAM_0175.JPG

Nice graphics package and detailed instructions.

SAM_0177.JPG

Covering and paint looks top notch, but canopy will need to be glued on or screwed on. Was hoping this was installed and done, but I'm sure its off for a pilot to be installed.

SAM_0180.JPG

SAM_0179.JPG

SAM_0178.JPG

Nice strong magnetic front upper cowl for battery placement.

SAM_0183.JPG

SAM_0182.JPG

Spring loaded removable hatch area under fuse.

SAM_0186.JPG

And final pic shows the CA type hinges that need to be glued on all surfaces. I typically don't like these but Horizon tends to know what there doing on designing these planes. These are the fastest way to get you flying ASAP....

SAM_0188.JPG

More to come...........

Drew

70cc twin V2
Awesome timing I'll be starting mine in a week or so, so I'll build building along side your build.

Sounds good, I'm stopping by the hobby store today for some glue and going to get started tonight. I'm real excited to build this plane, I haven't done a bipe in a while, I was due for one. :bouncy:

looking forward to get some info on this bipe I see one in my near future winter project I have been looking at a few from other mfgs I have never had a bipe before but I see one in future

Drew

70cc twin V2
Alright, got a little more done. Would have done more, but my AC went out last night. Good thing its cool at night. Anyways, got the wing hinging done and control horns epoxied in.

SAM_0190.JPG

Pretty simple on these CA hinges, line it all up, find your hinge gap, and slowly flow in the CA.

SAM_0193.JPG

Have your alcohol ready and acetone if needed

SAM_0192.JPG

I do one hinge at a time and clean real well with the alcohol. If it runs bad, get the acetone and rub it off.

SAM_0194.JPG

SAM_0195.JPG

SAM_0191.JPG

Keep an eye out for bad CA hinges, I had 2 do this and once it happens, there no good.

SAM_0196.JPG

4 aileron control horns ready to install with epoxy.

SAM_0199.JPG

I use a tie wrap end to get the epoxy down into the slot in the aileron.

SAM_0208.JPG

Make sure they sit 90 degree and straight.

SAM_0207.JPG

Scuff the area to be glued so it bonds better, use heavy grit sandpaper.

SAM_0204.JPG

Make sure your right over the hinge line.

SAM_0205.JPG

2 out of the 4 control horns were not 90 to the surface, so i use tape to hold in correct position till it dries.

SAM_0209.JPG

Done.....

SAM_0210.JPG

Drew

70cc twin V2
Also got the servo mounts done. Make sure you go with the mini size servos, standard wouldn't fit in these trays without major modifying.

SAM_0214.JPG

Line up the blocks, mark position to glue

SAM_0215.JPG

SAM_0216.JPG

SAM_0218.JPG

I put a 2x4 onto the block with weight till they dried.

SAM_0220.JPG