• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D EMHW 2.15 Ultimate

Started my gefraster holzbausatz. The instructions are in German, but there's a CD of pictures and it seems very clear where each part goes. The wood is really nicely done. All CNC routered and the fit between joints seems tight. Finished sanding the tabs off everything and she's ready to start.

The fuselage is a combination of interlocking ply parts and stringers and relies on a table for reference. The wings are built up and they've included foam shucks to compress for the glueup. Everything looks like it should be relatively easy to build straight which is good as I've never built a kit before. They also supply some routered/cut sheeting preshaped for portions of the wings and turtle deck.

Really impressed with the completeness of everything. It came with a nice fiberglass spinner, wheels/gear and hinges. All the flying wire hardware.

Glad to be doing a build thread on here. I'm sure I'll be picking the brains of all the great builders here. IMG_0387.jpg IMG_0391.jpg IMG_0396.jpg

Thanks guys!

Alright, so something I've been wondering about. How do you guys like to cut miters into balsa for your cross members? I've seen a few tools specially made for RC balsa miter cuts, both cutting and sanding tools.

I've got access to a bunch of handtools so I was thinking I could just measure and mark the angles and use a fine cut saw or small dovetail saw by hand.

The steeper the angle, the stronger it would be. Also, stagger your splices. :)

Good advice, the kit has some joints like that in the rear cut into the ply. I'm wondering how everyone cuts angles into balsa sticks like for bracing in a Carden build. The gefraster holzbausatz has a few in the fuse and some fairly detailed work in the tailfeathers. A scroll saw might do pretty clean work.

I've looked at Fourmost miter sanders and miter cutters and they look pretty slick.

Progress! Glued the Grundtrager to the Fahrwerksbrett so off to the races..:D

Attachments

• IMG_0398.jpg
    IMG_0398.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 676
Picked up some ceiling tile. Managed to find dead flat tiles so on the kitchen table they go:D

Started with the ailerons. There was a pretty good bow in one of the long balsa sticks that runs the length of the aileron. Laminating it to one side of the sheeting removed about 95% of the bow so I'm confident it will be straight once laminated to the other sheeting half.

Think I'll order the Fourmost miter cutter and miter sander. My fine cut saw idea just makes a mess of the balsa and I ended up using a hobby knife/sandpaper.

Attachments

• Aileron 1.jpg
    Aileron 1.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 660
  • Aileron 2.jpg
    Aileron 2.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 683
My initial hamfisted attempt at cutting miters for the ailerons made me think I should focus elsewhere, so until the Miter Sander arrives I'll leave them be.

Switched to the Rumpfbereich. Read the manual a few times and think some knowledge is sinking in through osmosis. I think the overall point they are making is to shoot for tight Gerripes and a straight Rumpfbereich so with that in mind I did a dry fit to make sure the tabs would fit and get familiar with how it all goes together and where to apply glue:D

The router leaves a small curve in corners so I filed those all square. Just about 5 seconds a corner did it.

The glueup went fine. I used Aerobond Express glue and some epoxy on the firewall (or first bulkhead?). It's a water based wood glue like Titebond. Drys really clear and quickly. It retrospect the joints were tight enough I think it would have been easier to use CA after getting it all together, weighted and clamped, but I'm happy with the results even if I was a little rushed. There's no good way I could see to do a little at a time as the various pieces use each other for reference.

Need to install the stringers, landing gear and tailwheel mount and she'll be on her feet.

Attachments

• IMG_0406.jpg
    IMG_0406.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 714
  • IMG_0407.jpg
    IMG_0407.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 702
  • IMG_0408.jpg
    IMG_0408.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 683
  • IMG_0409.jpg
    IMG_0409.jpg