• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Enya 120-4C Bearings

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
Hi guys,

I've got an Enya 120-4C that was on a Cub I picked up a couple of weeks ago. The bearings that were in there were rusty so I ordered new ones but the original main bearing had open bearings and the front bearing was sealed in the front. The replacement bearings that Boca sent me are both sealed front/back.

Any suggestions? I sent a message to Boca but haven't head back yet. Thanks!

Bart

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
doesn't the fuel and oil pass through the main bearing to lubricate the front bearings?

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Not very knowledgeable on Enya engines but if it was an OS 120 you need to remove both shields from main crank bearing the oil needs to get to the cam gear and lifters. The only oil that gets down there is a controlled blow bypass so you need the lubrication.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
The bearings from BOCA are sealed and lubricated. You do not need to remove the shields. The cam gears and bushings get lubricated from blow by oil as snoops described. The camshaft drive ball bearing in the rear (driven by the crank pin) can remain sealed as well if you also got that particular bearing.
120-4c.jpg
en_21.jpg

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
the bearings that I took out had metal cages holding the ball bearings in. when I popped out the seal on one of the new bearings the cage was plastic and it popped out pretty easily too. it didn't exactly inspire confidence in the new bearings if you know what I mean.

i think the fuel/oil that is flowing past the main bearing towards the front bearing is also cooling the bearings so I'll remove the shields and see how long the whole thing lasts. @WMcNabb graciously gave me a 26cc gasser so the Enya might be getting passed along for someone else to tinker with. we'll know in a week or two but I'll reassemble it with the new bearings while I'm waiting.

thanks for the replies.