• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Epoxy...favorite mixing cups?

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
I've got a few favorites I like to use......the plastic cups that come with Tide detergent, the plastic containers that rolls of electrical tape come in, the cup covers that they use in hotel rooms to make it look like the drinking glasses aren't actually all nasty inside.....

what are you guys using? is there anything really good that can be bought in bulk that doesn't have ridges and grooves that keep the epoxy from being really well mixed?

a while back there was an EAA video that had a guy using the concave bowl shape on the bottom of a soda can......what else though? someone's got to have a ringer that we haven't thought of yet.

Bart

reyn3545

100cc
Digging deep for material tonight, huh? I buy small plastic cups, about the same size as a pill cup they may give you at the doctor's office. A sleeve of 50 will last for a while, along with a box of 500 tongue depressors to stir them with. My local hobby store stocks the cups, so it gives me a good reason to stop by and say hi once in a while.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
not digging, flying home tonight the salads had plastic covers over them and i'm always looking at stuff like that saying, "Can I mix epoxy in these?" so I brought two of them home in my bag to try. figured I'd throw it out there to see what you guys use.

plastic cups that don't have smooth bottoms are no good because unmixed epoxy can sit in the grooves

waxed paper cups are no good because the wax can contaminate the epoxy

so i thought i'd ask. :epic:

Last edited:

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
I use the small mixing cups also. I love that they are calibrated for perfect mixing. If you look around you can find them cheap. These are $3 for 100. Then I go to the craft store and get like 1000 Popsicle sticks for a couple bucks and I am set for a long time.

fb831ff18a173ebf7d09cdb393deb149.image.180x125.jpg

Mikeq

150cc
I use a one ounce cup with stirring sticks purchased at my LHS...The cups are about 25 per pack. The sticks look like pop sickle sticks and are marked from Great Planes...

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
If I have a small amount to mix up, I just do it on a piece of wood or cardboard or plain white paper.

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
I use a one ounce cup with stirring sticks purchased at my LHS...The cups are about 25 per pack. The sticks look like pop sickle sticks and are marked from Great Planes...

The craft sticks from Hobby Lobby are way cheaper. Just an FYI.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
i'll have to swing by a craft store and see about those little cups you guys are using. i've been using cardboard and stuff too but for bigger batches you've got to have a system in place.

ExtraNuts

70cc twin V2
I get plastic shot glasses at the dollar store for mixing cups. Like 20-30 to a package. I too bought a box of 1000 popsicle stick at a craft store. Its a lifetime supply. Somtimes I will also wash out small yogurt cups and similar plastic food containers for mixing.