• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Extra or Slick

Trill

New to GSN!
I have the 57" Extra 330SC (Great plane!) and now have ten flights on my 59" Slick. So far the former high school educator in me says the Extra scores an A with 95 out of 100 and the Slick scores an A with 92 out of 100 for 3D and precision.

Please specify what you like about both planes and describe the flight envelope of the 59" Slick. I am running a "light" 4S set up on the 59" Slick with a Motrolfly 3620-750 and later I plan to switch to a "heavy" 6S set up with a Torque 4016T-500.

BTW, it was a delight to see you in action live at the 2012 TN Huckfest!

Hey Trill,

I really don't like to get into the discussion of extra vs. slick because I simply don't believe one is better than the other. The simplest way to describe the airplanes is to say that they are "different." I flew the slick for my first king50, 2 XFCs, and 2 full flying seasons. During that time my extras (57,72,and 103) never saw much airtime. I simply loved the slick. I have more flights on a 71 slick than any other plane, it use to be the only plane I would take to the field. Then this year, for some reason, I really started to like the extras. I haven't flown my slicks very much and I've only put a few flights on my 71 this year. Both planes are awesome, but they are different. I think its all about personal preference and flying style. Some people will love the slicks and some people will love the extras, that doesn't make one better than the other.

When it comes to the 59 and 57, I must say that the 59 is the most precise 60" size plane I have ever flown, nothing even compares to it when it comes to precision imo. The 57 doesn't track as well but I feel that it is more compfy to 3d the 57 than the 59. Both planes are extremely stable in all attitudes, neither of them are going to catch you off gaurd. The 59 is also a KE monster, truly a sweet plane for high alpha ke passes. The easiest way to see if you are slick or extra guy is just by putting many flights on both of them.

Trill

New to GSN!
Hey Trill,

When it comes to the 59 and 57, I must say that the 59 is the most precise 60" size plane I have ever flown, nothing even compares to it when it comes to precision imo. The 57 doesn't track as well but I feel that it is more compfy to 3d the 57 than the 59. Both planes are extremely stable in all attitudes, neither of them are going to catch you off gaurd. The 59 is also a KE monster, truly a sweet plane for high alpha ke passes. The easiest way to see if you are slick or extra guy is just by putting many flights on both of them.

Joe,

Thank you for your reply. I have only ten flights on my 59, but so far I am impressed that it is more precise than the 57.