• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Extra Slick - battery location

oliver

New to GSN!
Hello - I want to mount the battery (450 mah, 2s) horizontally on my Extra Slick, but I'm still confused about the correct location - forward or aft of the aileron servo (with no landing gear) - I have experimented moving it around lengthwise with velcro on the upper fuse, and with 75% of the length forward of the spar it has a slightly nose heavy attitude when balanced on 2 pencils at the cg point in the manual and it flies just fine - but I see so many photos where the hole is cut into the fuse forward of the aileron servo. I don't know what is supposed to feel 'right' and I'd like to know your recommendations about whether I should cut the hole aft or forward of the aileron servo. What are the benefits or pitfalls? Many thanks.

cwojcik

70cc twin V2
The battery may wind up forward or back of the aileron servo depending on the amount of glue you used and a few other factors. It is not important where it ends up, but it is important that the plane flies right.

Trim the plane for level flight upright at about 2/3 throttle. Then flip it inverted. If it climbs or doesn't need any down elevator it is tail heavy. If it needs a lot of down elevator then it's nose heavy. If it needs a bit of down elevator it's perfect.