• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

F3S - Jet Precision Aerobatics

MattyMatt

70cc twin V2
Hey Ya'll... something new is starting in 2015 for the USA, and that is F3S.

Most people are familiar with F3A (pattern), F3C (Helicopter Precision), F3K (discus launch glider), F3P (Precision Indoor Airplanes). These are all FAI classes under the F3 classification for Radio Controlled aircraft competition.

The newest is the F3S, which is Jet Precision Aerobatics. The rules are exactly the same as F3A, except for a few things...Here are some clarifications to the FAI sporting code, for F3S. These are the rules:

-There is no size/weight requirements for F3S, except for local AMA rules. Any Jet capable for flying a sequence in a 75 degree box (150) is legal.

-Turbine or Ducted Fans are legal.

-Electric Ducted Fans are limited to 42.56v (10S) setup like pattern

-In the US, AMA turbine requirements apply - so any jet under 55 lbs can only have up to 45 lbs of thrust. Over 55 lbs falls into the LMTA-1 rules. This is full of fuel ready to fly.

-No Gyro's or any device that controls the plane without the pilots input is illegal. This is the same for all FAI F3 classes.

-If you are flying a Turbine, all AMA safety code must be followed and you must have your waiver.

View attachment 7421

MattyMatt

70cc twin V2
Attached is the FAI sporting code for all of the rules.

Also attached on it's own is the sequence... notice, no cross box, no rolling circles, no snaps/spins/hammers. It's like 1987 turnaround pattern!

IMG_0395.PNG

Attachments

• SC4_Vol_F3_Aerobatics_14_Rev_1-2.pdf
    707 KB · Views: 556

MattyMatt

70cc twin V2
Our first F3S contest is set!

It will be May 2,3 2015, at the Winston-Salem RC Club.

F3S will be flown as a class during the pattern contest. So, in addition to the normal AMA pattern classes, F3A, and F3S will be flown.

Tom Miller and Phil Vance are the guys that are running the overall event at WSRC and are really excited and supportive to bring F3S into their contest. I can not thank them enough.

Two very important adjustments to the FAI F3S Sporting Code, as I posted above:

- EDF will be able to run up to a 12S battery setup.
- Gyros will be allowed in rate mode.

dlpeirce

New to GSN!
Matt, it's cool you are getting a contest going for F3S back there. I would really like to see something happen out west here. I may need to see if I can get something going for it. We have a few guys with Avantis that would fly it if we had a contest. F3S was one of the primary reasons I chose the Futura so I would love to get a few contests happening.
Darin

MattyMatt

70cc twin V2
Matt, it's cool you are getting a contest going for F3S back there. I would really like to see something happen out west here. I may need to see if I can get something going for it. We have a few guys with Avantis that would fly it if we had a contest. F3S was one of the primary reasons I chose the Futura so I would love to get a few contests happening.
Darin

Darin, it's the weekend before the Joe Nall if you want to come out...

MattyMatt

70cc twin V2
I hear ya Earle! Time to buy a jet my friend. You'll look at your IMAC plane like you look at the horse and buggy vs a modern car! Lol