• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

FAA CLARIFICATIONS...... What's legal.......What aint ???????

Flyin4fun

70cc twin V2
Our club, AMA club/field, wants/needs to be in compliance with any changes that there may be so we do not lose it.

What I want are "facts", not assumptions, or what someone thinks they "should" be ....facts only.

If there is someone here that is "really" in the know, please chime in.

Thanks,

Doug

SleepyC

150cc
Gonna have to wait. This changes daily.

I own a commercial AV company and I may have to close shop soon.

The FAA is seriously changing things every 24 hours.

But it seems that if you fly at a AMA field and you are just flying to fly you don;t have much to worry about.

FPV is on the chopping block, but there is no definite answer to that yet either.

For me, i'm probably screwed. It is looking like they will only allow a Commercial multi rotor pilot (AV,Agriculture, inspections) to fly if they obtain a full scale pilots license.

It's seriously absurd. I would not mind classes and rig inspections, but what does flying a full scale plane have to do with an Octocopter.

Sure I'll learn how to talk "airplane" on a radio, and follow preflights, but REALLY $7500 - $15K in lessons endangering myself to get a pilots license?

STOOPID.

BarracudaHockey

70cc twin V2
Flyin4fun;3347 wrote: Our club, AMA club/field, wants/needs to be in compliance with any changes that there may be so we do not lose it.

What I want are "facts", not assumptions, or what someone thinks they "should" be ....facts only.

If there is someone here that is "really" in the know, please chime in.

Thanks,

Doug

Doug,

Right now its business as usual as far as the AMA is concerned. Talk to your District VP if you have specific questions on the AMA stance as he will be your best resource.

Mark Radcliff is your VP

mradcliff@suddenlink.net

rcbobp

70cc twin V2
Sleepy, not that I want to see FPV completely buried, and I agree that requiring a full commercial license for multi-rotor RC is completely insane, but I do hope that your are correct that the FAA is backing off a bit. I mean, things like not paying for aerobatic demonstrations as part of the hobby, etc., I think that is plain loco.

SleepyC

150cc
I honestly don't think the FAA cares too much about airplanes and AMA members flying at a field. They used that as a bluff to get at "US" the AV guys, their enemy!

When they announce that the Hobby guys will be "OK" but they are ramming a 25 foot pole into the commercial guys butts, how many are going to care?

Probably not most.

Me... I'm going to lose around a $50K investment into a fairly successful business which has dropped off since the FAA announcement.

IT SUCKS.

www.airheadmedia.com

Flyin4fun

70cc twin V2
SleepyC;3351 wrote: Gonna have to wait. This changes daily.

I own a commercial AV company and I may have to close shop soon.

The FAA is seriously changing things every 24 hours.

But it seems that if you fly at a AMA field and you are just flying to fly you don;t have much to worry about.

FPV is on the chopping block, but there is no definite answer to that yet either.

For me, i'm probably screwed. It is looking like they will only allow a Commercial multi rotor pilot (AV,Agriculture, inspections) to fly if they obtain a full scale pilots license.

It's seriously absurd. I would not mind classes and rig inspections, but what does flying a full scale plane have to do with an Octocopter.

Sure I'll learn how to talk "airplane" on a radio, and follow preflights, but REALLY $7500 - $15K in lessons endangering myself to get a pilots license?

STOOPID.
Thanks for your reply Steve,

I am President of our club, and I FIRMLY believe that we should be allowed to fly ALL aspects of our hobby, but we rent our field from a local shopping center (marsh land that you cannot build on, can't disturb the bog frogs) for only $1 a year . (don't want to lose this great situation) so we would NEED to comply with any state or federal laws.

We are more than 9 miles from the nearest airport (no problem here), we basically fly in a bowl (mountain 1/4 to our rear approx. 800 feet elevation above field)( and a hill on left side and front, approx. 200 feet elevation above field., both 1/4 mile away) (no problem here)

FPV is the question.... we have a member with a quad and he wants to fly FPV both WLOS and BLOS . He spent quite a bit on his rig, and I had to tell him to hold off till we (as a club) had better info on the current legalities of his setup.

I hated doing this, but he fully understood, as the owner of the shopping center also has a great hobby shop where they are privy to club activities/info.

yeah, yeah, it sure is nice to have a hobby shop 500 yards from our flying field, especially when it has a full compliment of 3DHS aircraft.

So now you got a little info on our (and I am sure others) situation.

Thanks

Doug

P.S. Ill get ahold of Mark and see what he says..thanks 'cuda

SleepyC

150cc
Well right now, he's fine... in a month or so we will see. But like was posted above, right now, business as usual.

rcbobp

70cc twin V2
What do you think Hollywood is doing about this? Definitely sucks that they're corn holing guys like you, but the big production companies have a huge stake in this too. Any chance they're working to get the FAA to back off?

BarracudaHockey

70cc twin V2
SleepyC;3394 wrote: Well right now, he's fine... in a month or so we will see. But like was posted above, right now, business as usual.

Well, yes and no.

LOS yes

BLOS (no spotter can visually see the craft) then thats no from the AMA, Document 550 is the current guidance.

Flyin4fun

70cc twin V2
BarracudaHockey;3415 wrote: Well, yes and no.

LOS yes

BLOS (no spotter can visually see the craft) then thats no from the AMA, Document 550 is the current guidance.

Yeah, he would like to fly it up to 2 miles away, the thing is quite big (I don't know much about it, but it is cool) anyway it is not a quad it is about 3 feet in diameter and has 6 or 8 rotors, and has a landing gear that folds up so as not to show on the camera, and from what I understand , it has an attachment on his DX18 to extend the range.

But noo way will you see it at a mile, much less 2 miles. (WLOS)