• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Faa is looking for total control with new bill!!!

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
NO FAA.png

Well look at this latest power grab attempt from the FAA which leaves us with only one conclusion, they want TOTAL CONTROL of our hobby. Just look back over the past few years, they are being very methodical in stripping away our rights to fly and asserting more and more rules along the way. Geez..... just when we thought we had reached a somewhat reasonable compromise! Read below and make your own conclusions....

:cursing::cursing::cursing:

Article credit Forbes
Contributor: John Goglia
Url: http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngog...tions-for-hobbyists-or-students/#6fc5c330a6f2

Senate Bill Could Ground Home-Built Drones; No Exceptions For Hobbyists Or Students

A Senate bill to reauthorize the FAA contains provisions related to the manufacture of drones that could apply to home-built drones, as well as those produced by large consumer manufacturers. The bill in question, titled the Federal Aviation Administration Reauthorization Act of 2016, contains provisions that would have a significant impact on technology innovation by all manufacturers of small drones. With no size or weight threshold, the bill, if adopted, would add new and burdensome manufacturing, testing and approval restrictions to even the tiniest drones. And, most disturbing, these restrictions could apply to hobby-built remote controlled aircraft or student-built drones, effectively prohibiting them from operating outdoors. The legislation could also retroactively ground already-built models that didn’t meet the manufacturing standards called for by the proposed legislation.

The bill states: “it shall be unlawful for any person to introduce or deliver for introduction into interstate commerce any unmanned aircraft manufactured on or after the date that the [FAA] adopts a relevant [manufacturing] standard, unless the manufacturer has received approval …for each make and model.” In order to receive approval, the bill sets forth steps that would be difficult for large manufacturers to meet, let alone small businesses or individuals. In order to receive manufacturing approval, the drone maker would, among other things, have to meet safety standards developed through a consensus process with government, industry and “community-based aviation organizations”, which would include presumably the Academy of Model Aeronautics. A manufacturer – regardless of size – would at a minimum have to provide “the aircraft’s operating instructions” and confirm that the drone met the specified standards. In addition, the drone manufacturer would have to provide a sample of every make and model to the FAA for its approval.

I asked a leading drone attorney whether a drone built at home or in school could be considered to be introduced “into interstate commerce.” According to Peter Sachs, who publishes the well-regarded legal website www.dronelawjournal.com, “the flight of any aircraft, whether built in a factory or in a basement, is a flight in interstate commerce.”

At a time when the U.S. lags behind so many industrialized countries in higher education, especially in terms of science and technology, a bill that would have such tremendous impacts on an innovative new field is perplexing.

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
It's time to go on the offensive. They have taken a little here a little there but when they are finished they will own the whole hobby.

It's the frog in the water experiment put into practice.

Bipenut53

150cc
It's time to go on the offensive. They have taken a little here a little there but when they are finished they will own the whole hobby.

It's the frog in the water experiment put into practice.

I agree completely. I dont want to jump on the "beat up AMA" band wagon, but it seems like they are already starting to drink the Kool Aid in the last progress letter I received on the 15th. You can click here to read what they are saying, and maybe I am reading something wrong, if so someone please point it out to me.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Don't freak out... This bill is in it's early early stages and there is a lot of work they would have to do before it gets considered, we're talking probably a year or more.

Also we are back to the fact that the FAA is not a governing body regardless of what anyone thinks, they are merely an advisory for the DOT. The DOT has the control.

Last edited by a moderator:

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
NO FAA.jpg

I just had to make that image above today in my frustration. I'm so sick of this government continuing to take our freedoms! Dang... somehow the NRA can keep assault rifles in peoples hands but we can't keep out RC Airplanes from major regulation?!?!?!

I'm not saying anything about guns other than 91 people are killed in the US alone each and every single day and the NRA can protect the gun owners... yes I believe we should protect that right, but that's not my point. When was the last time someone was killed (Maliciously, with intent or even by accident????) by an RC Airplane, Drone or whatever you want to call it and we are getting stomped on!!!

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
Yea... you're right I probably am freaking out a bit but I guess it's because I've hit the temperature were this frog jumps out of the pot and say's what the heck are you doing????

I'm sick sick sick of seeing this country were we are today. The point is we are being picked away here and there until before you know it there is nothing left and then we say what happened???? Let's not allow them to do that to us!

Bipenut53

150cc
Yea... you're right I probably am freaking out a bit but I guess it's because I've hit the temperature were this frog jumps out of the pot and say's what the heck are you doing????

I'm sick sick sick of seeing this country were we are today. The point is we are being picked away here and there until before you know it there is nothing left and then we say what happened???? Let's not allow them to do that to us!

No I don't think you are freaking out [MENTION=2643]3DMIKE[/MENTION], I think that even if it is a year down the road that we need to know about it. Government moves so slowly and if we have opposing views of what is going on we need to step up now and say something NOW!! If we wait until it is almost in-acted then it is truly too late at that point because they have already made up their minds

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
There isn't much reason to freak because like I said, the bill is still in its early stages. I highly doubt they will restrict us in these regards as it will effectively eliminate pretty much any and all suas operations, including private sector.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
We need bumper stickers "Drones don't kill people, people kill people... just like firearms"