• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Cool Find someone to fly with!

njswede

150cc
Today I had the pleasure of flying together with an experienced 3D pilot flying the same plane as me (EF Laser EXP). It's great seeing first hand what the airframe is capable of doing and to get some simple pointers. It gave me a lot of confidence I didn't have before.

So newbie tip of the day from your neighbourhood 3D noob is this: If you have an experienced 3D pilot in your club, don't be scared to approach them! 3D pilots are amazingly friendly and helpful. Try to spend some time flying together with them!

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Today I had the pleasure of flying together with an experienced 3D pilot flying the same plane as me (EF Laser EXP). It's great seeing first hand what the airframe is capable of doing and to get some simple pointers. It gave me a lot of confidence I didn't have before.

So newbie tip of the day from your neighbourhood 3D noob is this: If you have an experienced 3D pilot in your club, don't be scared to approach them! 3D pilots are amazingly friendly and helpful. Try to spend some
time flying together with them!

+1. As with anything requiring skill, play with/ against or get instruction from someone better and you will get better too. I'm doing the same thing and it takes a shallow learning curve and pulls it vertical. Enjoy!

wedoitall

just wish i had a club around here. have some flying buddys that taught me to fly circles, takeoff and land. but thats about it. they are not into flying 3d yet. think a couple is gonna get a epp foamy soon.

will try to make it to an outta state club. and a flyin on new years, hope to meet some 3d folks

SnowDog

I agree 100% with njswede, flying with other 3D pilots is the best way to improve your skill. I've got a few experienced 3D pilots at my club and they are happy to teach and I am happy to learn. They really encourage and challenge me to extend my (fairly basic) 3D skills on a regular basis.

And of course, the 3DHS FLI Series is all about hooking up 3D pilots from all over the country, so if you get a chance, make it to the nearest FLI in 2013...you won't regret it!

Jwmav528

70cc twin V2
wedoitall I know how you feel. I am the only real 3D guy at my club. There are others but they don't know what the maneuvers are called or that they are a recognized style. I complimented one on his harrier and he looked at me funny. This led to a conversation between us about 3D and what the maneuvers are called. Now there are two 3D pilots at my club. I know it's a drive for you but you're always welcome up at the ARCS. We have one major fly in every September and Paul from the club and I are working on setting up some more 3D oriented ones here soon.

dth7

wedoitall I know how you feel. I am the only real 3D guy at my club. There are others but they don't know what the maneuvers are called or that they are a recognized style. I complimented one on his harrier and he looked at me funny. This led to a conversation between us about 3D and what the maneuvers are called. Now there are two 3D pilots at my club. I know it's a drive for you but you're always welcome up at the ARCS. We have one major fly in every September and Paul from the club and I are working on setting up some more 3D oriented ones here soon.

Sounds like this is a trend ( a good one). Just like anything else "controversial" (yes I'm afraid 3D is controversial among traditionalists in this hobby). Not sure where the "bad rap" came from but boy there is some prejudice out there. I compared it to the "great skateboard scare of the 90s" or the skiing "invasion of the snowboarders"! To me (and I assume everyone else on this site at least) 3D is a natural progression and "acceleration" from pattern, precision and IMAC flying. Maybe it's what mom called "sour grapes" but I feel it's a lack of education and knowledge of all the true benefits of the skill of flying a scale or any model at and beyond the flight envelope. When I watch Rob Holland and Matt Chapman and their contemporaries I have to ask "is modelling imitating full scale (as it once did) or is full scale imitating modelling?" I think they all have 3D to thank for their new "material" in the form of outstanding, show stopping maneuvers. This site's goal and the intentions of those of us trying to promote it at a club level, working together to get the word out make this a real fun challenge. I thank everyone for the help to date and for future contributions to help get the "accurate" word out on 3D and precise flying skills. Great stuff!

wedoitall

3 of my flying buddys(circle flyers from wayback) are buying their first 3d planes from twisted hobbys this week. One of them i would have never imagined buying a 3d plane but after they saw my TH edge in action, they wanted one.

dth7

3 of my flying buddys(circle flyers from wayback) are buying their first 3d planes from twisted hobbys this week. One of them i would have never imagined buying a 3d plane but after they saw my TH edge in action, they wanted one.

So you're the clubs "crack (yak)" dealer! ha ha. That's great, spread the 3D love!