• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Flew My First Gasser Today (30% TOC1 YAk 54)

AKfreak

150cc
13979129386_97b8bcf1c2_c.jpg

I finished up my Gasser and it flew today. Besides a little drama from the heli guys, and flooding the engine (DOH!) the plane went up, came down, and went home.

Boy you can sure feel the weight in the air of these bigger planes. Also not knowing what the correct CG was supposed to be, combined with never setting up a throttle curve on a gasser, I think it flew pretty well.

Trimming was a little sketchy at first. It took off, climbed out and was in a hover right off the bat. Some down elevator and right aileron and she trued right on up.

The roll rate is pretty fast on this plane. The DA-50 with a 22x8 gives it plenty of power. As far as the Carb setup is concerned. I used the Hi-Tech servo programmer to define the middle stick position as 1/2 way open on the throttle linkage. Next the zero stick position was set to all the way closed on the linkage, and lastly the WOT stick position was set so the throttle linkage full open. Next I used the radios throttle curve option (XG11) to make the throttle response as linear as I could possibly get it. I know there is a better way to do it, but I didn't have anyone to help me, so I researched and did the best I could. Btw did I mention it works ;)

I will say that without the throttle curve in the radio, there was not much throttle response above 1/2 way. But now the throttle keeps gaining RPM all the way to the full throttle stick position.

Lastly, I don't don't own a tac yet, so I can't tell if I am getting max power. I will say the power that I do have is good. The plane flies real nice, and hovers at 1/2 throttle. Oh I almost forgot, the Hitech HS-5645MG's I have on the ailerons, throttle, and elevators (two of them), work but are dog a$$ slow. My rudder servo, the HS- 5955TG is awesome. I wish I had 4 more like it.

I will say that I like the XQ's I have on the Extra 300 I built. For the money I don't think you can go wrong. With that said, I love using a laptop to setup my Hi-tech digital servos. I mean what a dream that is.

All in all I am happy, I need to do a little tweaking, and get some new servos, also, I can shed a little weight. For now it's all good and I love the plane. After all she is the big girl in my hangar. I should say the big girl that is RTF in my hangar. My next project is a custom built 35% Extra 260 that's calling me daily to give her a make over.

SnowDog

great news on the maiden, AKFreak! That plane looks brand new! (Shiny!) Those servos must be really so for you to notice them so intensely on the first flight! Glad you got a gasser in the air...they are lots of fun!

Ahblair4

70cc twin V2
13979129386_97b8bcf1c2_c.jpg

I finished up my Gasser and it flew today. Besides a little drama from the heli guys, and flooding the engine (DOH!) the plane went up, came down, and went home.

Boy you can sure feel the weight in the air of these bigger planes. Also not knowing what the correct CG was supposed to be, combined with never setting up a throttle curve on a gasser, I think it flew pretty well.

Trimming was a little sketchy at first. It took off, climbed out and was in a hover right off the bat. Some down elevator and right aileron and she trued right on up.

The roll rate is pretty fast on this plane. The DA-50 with a 22x8 gives it plenty of power. As far as the Carb setup is concerned. I used the Hi-Tech servo programmer to define the middle stick position as 1/2 way open on the throttle linkage. Next the zero stick position was set to all the way closed on the linkage, and lastly the WOT stick position was set so the throttle linkage full open. Next I used the radios throttle curve option (XG11) to make the throttle response as linear as I could possibly get it. I know there is a better way to do it, but I didn't have anyone to help me, so I researched and did the best I could. Btw did I mention it works ;)

I will say that without the throttle curve in the radio, there was not much throttle response above 1/2 way. But now the throttle keeps gaining RPM all the way to the full throttle stick position.

Lastly, I don't don't own a tac yet, so I can't tell if I am getting max power. I will say the power that I do have is good. The plane flies real nice, and hovers at 1/2 throttle. Oh I almost forgot, the Hitech HS-5645MG's I have on the ailerons, throttle, and elevators (two of them), work but are dog a$$ slow. My rudder servo, the HS- 5955TG is awesome. I wish I had 4 more like it.

I will say that I like the XQ's I have on the Extra 300 I built. For the money I don't think you can go wrong. With that said, I love using a laptop to setup my Hi-tech digital servos. I mean what a dream that is.

All in all I am happy, I need to do a little tweaking, and get some new servos, also, I can shed a little weight. For now it's all good and I love the plane. After all she is the big girl in my hangar. I should say the big girl that is RTF in my hangar. My next project is a custom built 35% Extra 260 that's calling me daily to give her a make over.

Lucky! It's windy like you wouldn't believe in North Vegas!