• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Focus areas

gyro

GSN Contributor
Joe,

I've noticed a lot more younger folks active this summer in the 3DHS threads. I read that you started flying only 3 years ago, and since some of those guys are that age, I was wondering if you had any advice for them on what focus areas worked best at that time period for you?

Joe's Dad

70cc twin V2
Not Joe
But This fall Joe will have been flying for 4 years.
As his Dad I still watch every flight I can. Its exciting to watch what he does. He is always trying new maneuvers and tweaking existing ones. Joe has a style all his own.
And that is the key. Practice and use the sim a lot to learn stick inputs. Then get a good foamy and spend time with it. Some people think 3D is just stick banging. If you bang on the sticks when your plane is 6" off the ground, you will get use to smelling CA in a hurry.

Great idea for a thread!!! I have a lot of ideas on this subject and also problems that I would like to address.

One of the major problems I have seen is kids worrying about sponsorship more than anything else. This hobby should be about having fun, the idea of getting a sponsor shouldn't be your drive for being in the hobby. The problem is that soo many people are rushing to harder maneuvers like rollers before they can do simple loops, 4pt. rolls ect... just because they are focused on getting sponsored. When I first got into the hobby, I knew that there was no way I would ever get a sponsor so I never thought about it. I went out and flew for the fun of it and becasue I wanted to be a well rounded pilot. I started with sport manuevers and never tried a 3D manuever until I was very good at 4pt. rolls, big rolling circle, hammer heads, ect..

The key things to learning imo, are a simulator, foamy, small balsa plane, and lots of time. You also want to make sure you are practicing in all types of wind conditions. We would show up to the field and it would be 20+ mph wind and I would not fly, but dad started forcing me to learn to fly in that kind of wind and it has helped me a ton.

I learned all the basic maneuvers from dad and he spent a lot of time with me at first to make sure I was doing stuff correctly. I remeber one night we sat down at the simulator and talked me through touch and goes for about 3 hours. The key is just to make sure you are very good at the basic manuevers before you try to move on.

I'll be back later to add in some more thoughts, have to get to class now.

Turnerm

50cc
Love the concept of this thread. Jim and Joe's posts above are golden indeed! I especially agree with Joe's point on being in the hobby for the right reason. I've always said that I'll quit flying the day I don't find it enjoyable. Like golf, it's easy to get caught up in the process of trying to be perfect and that's fine because in some ways it's about challenging yourself and that is all fine and dandy but if you don't stop every now and then and just PLAY and enjoy yourself then you might as well hang it up and find another passion.

My grandfather told me this when I graduated college (in regards to working and getting promoted) and it's been my motto from day one of my working life. He said "Son... just worry about being the best you can be at whatever it is you're doing. If they give you a broom and tell you to sweep the floors then you just make sure you're the best floor sweeper around. And eventually people will take notice and your promotions will take care of themeselves. But above all else son - you gotta love what you do. You live by those two rules and I promise you that you'll be successful."

And that old man was right!

gyro

GSN Contributor
Joe, I just read the AMA interview, and you mentioned practicing on he sim to get your maneuvers down.

I wanted to know if you set yourself a goal to achieve, like x number of hours per day or week? I've always found that when I give myself attainable goals, I both get them completed AND have a sense of accomplishment, which brings me back for more.

-Gary

Lonelasso

70cc twin V2
Joe,
I've wondered if fear of crashing ever 'haunted' you ? It certainly held me back....still does, to a certain degree. My situation (not enough $$) is the biggest reason !

ThX MaN !!

-DaVe

I have never really set a goal for x number of hours to practice. I basically practice every spare second I can get.

Right at first I was scared of crashing so I flew pretty high all of the time. As I started progressing and built more confidence in my flying, I started to fly lower and lower. I was like that for a few years. This past summer hasn't been the best due to equipment issues and such so my confidence level went way down. Being able to let loose at king 50 has really gotten my confidence back so I hope this streak continues on.