• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

"Full Scale" Flight simulators

danielph

50cc
Hey guys, as much as I love RC, there's nothing like flying the real thing. I've wanted to get my license ever since I can remember, but ended up so deep into this sport that I haven't had the time or money to do so yet. I'm just starting college now, so it'll be a while until I'm financially able to get a license. Even so, I have a terrible itch to fly. ;)
Do any of you guys use Microsoft Flight Simulator X or X-Plane 10? I have the standard version of FSX, but am trying to figure out if I should use it, or go to X-Plane. I am a Mac guy now (yes, one of them. lol) and like the fact that X-plane can run on a Mac. My father has a PC that will run FSX though and I could continue using that.
I want to download two pay ware airplanes for the simulator, but figured I should decide which sim I'm going to stick with prior to that.

If any of you guys have flown both, which do you feel is more realistic and captures the feel of flight the best? (I am looking for the most realistic flight experience, not a game that I can dogfight with other guys while flying through floating hoops. LOL)

Thanks for any input that you guys might have!

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Sorry Daniel, no experience with MS Flight Sim but hear good things of it. I am a MAC guy too and have tried the X-Plane and really enjoyed it. With your great skills of flying I would suggest learning all you can of IFR flying and procedures along with instrument navigation. When you transition to full size that will give you a huge advantage.

Here are the last two that I have flown. :)

Attachments

• IMG_1684.JPG
    IMG_1684.JPG
    919.3 KB · Views: 246
  • DSCN0311.JPG
    DSCN0311.JPG
    397.7 KB · Views: 300
  • Approach.JPG
    Approach.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 297
I'v had both. In my opinion they both feel the same. FSX has more free downloads. They both have there pros and cons. X plane has a demo you can try also.

Ahblair4

70cc twin V2
Xplane is brutally honest, too easy to stall. FSX is good for long distance and overall seat time

danielph

50cc
Thank you for the replies everyone. I've spent a little time with FSX lately on my father's PC, but plan to give X-Plane a try once I upgrade my Mac.

I have the CH Pro flight yoke, but need to get a set of rudder pedals. The Saitek pedals look to be superior to the CH pedals, but I've never had a chance to try them. What are you guys running?

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Here is a video to show a better more realistic design. Almost every plane I have flown uses pedals more like the Simped F16/USB shown in this video link. Foot pressure is much different than with the design like the Saitek. The only time you really place your whole foot on the pedals is ground taxing to use the toe braking. The Simped design is much more realistic.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Here is a video to show a better more realistic design. Almost every plane I have flown uses pedals more like the Simped F16/USB shown in this video link. Foot pressure is much different than with the design like the Saitek. The only time you really place your whole foot on the pedals is ground taxing to use the toe braking. The Simped design is much more realistic.

Or when one of the outboard engines goes out on a c-130 :p
You need a little more than a toe full when that happens.

I miss full size flying

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Or when one of the outboard engines goes out on a c-130 :p
You need a little more than a toe full when that happens.

I miss full size flying

Thats for sure, I was going for my twin rating in a Cessna 310 and single engine landing took so much pressure your leg would start twitching. But what are your thoughts on sim pedals, that F16 USB model is much more realistic?

I miss full size as well. Gary here are the pedals from the SR71 from that cockpit intro video, a heel down design for flight.

Attachments

• Region capture 4.png
    Region capture 4.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 276
Last edited by a moderator:

gyro

GSN Contributor
Thats for sure, I was going for my twin rating in a Cessna 310 and single engine landing took so much pressure your leg would start twitching. But what are your thoughts on sim pedals, that F16 USB model is much more realistic?

I miss full size as well. Gary here are the pedals from the SR71 from that cockpit intro video, a heel down design for flight.

It's honestly been a while since I used a flight sim, and I had cheap pedals then. Can't really help here :(