• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Futaba R7018SB Receiver

Judge

70cc twin V2
Not sure if this has made the rounds here yet, but Futaba has a new 18-channel receiver that is very cool.

Full 18 servo ports
S.Bus
BOTH FASST and FASSTest (works with just about any Futaba 2.4 radio)
DUAL power leads with Dean's plugs
Separate RX on/off switch - no power switch needed
Just a tiny bit larger than the 6014HS RX (like ~2mm all around)

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFFFR&P=SM

Photo is not mine :( but it shows what it looks like in real life. But I do have one back ordered :woohoo!:

Available end of the month.

Attachments

• 7108.jpg
    7108.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 730
I've got one on back order for my fall project. I'm really glad to see Futaba doing this. It seems like the perfect GS receiver.

Joe Hunt

150cc
Looks awesome! Does that have an electronic switch so that your switch isn't the bottle neck on the power? thanks, Joe (and, how you been, old timer? haha)

Judge

70cc twin V2
Yes, it uses a separate switch that is not in the power feed. This picture shows the switch that comes with it. Not my photo, something I found in cyberspace.

Attachments

• 7018.jpg
    7018.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 758

Joe Hunt

150cc
Yes, it uses a separate switch that is not in the power feed. This picture shows the switch that comes with it. Not my photo, something I found in cyberspace.

Awesome! I'm very interested... wish it was out right now as I'm assembling a plane. Might, actually probably definitely will, swap out my power expander and RX for that RX and switch when it comes out. I think the threads around the NET that say you don't need power expanders without an RX and switch like the one you show lack any knowledge whatsoever. If you've (2nd person plural) ever run power tests on your servos under load through an RX only and additionally with small gage wire and standard servo connectors you (2nd person plural) would know that without an power expander there is a huge dropoff of current! Also, due to running LithION on my 40% planes in the old days I would also run an Emcotec power expander because it was the only one of the three that provided synchronous current from both batteries, which I sorely needed. Now with LithPOLY that problem is solved. I love KISS, so I'm excited about the RX and switch above. Two lipos into an RX that was made to handle them with Ultra Dean's connectors and an electronic on/off switch? Doesn't get any more KISS than that! I'm all about it!

Hey, what's your take on the people posting that they're having trouble with the R7008SB? Last plane I had was running on PCM! haha With a 14MZ. I just bought a 14SG and it came with an R7008SB. I'm already nervous about this new stuff (what's with the short antennas?!?! haha). Should I start out slow with a 6000 series RX, and work my way up? haha

Joe Hunt

150cc
On the antennas... the manual says run them 90 degrees to each other and keep them 1/2" away from metal and CF... that's right 1/2" is all... and you'll be safe and sound. But, people online say the setup has to be just right. I hear line of sight at all times, but it seems to me there will always be some attitude where your engine will block the line of sight. How critical is all this? I'm old and scared of new things. haha

Dan767

70cc twin V2
On the antennas... the manual says run them 90 degrees to each other and keep them 1/2" away from metal and CF... that's right 1/2" is all... and you'll be safe and sound. But, people online say the setup has to be just right. I hear line of sight at all times, but it seems to me there will always be some attitude where your engine will block the line of sight. How critical is all this? I'm old and scared of new things. haha

Joe,

Looking back at 72mhz radios, we were all concerned about interference from outside sources, and those fears have probably never really subsided. I've had no issues following the manufacturers suggestions. I've used Futaba's sBus in four different installations and have had no problems. I have the new receiver on order, and I'm looking forward to using it.

Joe Hunt

150cc
Hi Dan! Yeah, I hear ya'! And, there were guys that setup there planes with little thought going into it and they crashed for a variety of reasons and blamed some piece of radio equipment. I think about that as I'm reading guys online blaming current radio equipment for failures. But, this line of sight has me wanting to know more about other's setups. Do any of your planes have long tune pipes? I'm putting them in the plane I'm assembling and trying to come up with the best location for these short, haha, little antennas. I'm doing a build blog here: www.joehuntrc.com Just started on the assembly last Thursday and am trying to digest 8 years of online info about electronics and engines that I've never run. :O lol Joe

Dan767

70cc twin V2
Joe,

I use canisters and pipes, no problem. The only suggestion I would make regarding antenna placement, is that they be more than a wavelength apart and the antenna from the opposite receiver is not parallel to (side by side) the other receivers antenna.

It's nice to see you back into RC, good luck with the build.

Joe Hunt

150cc
Thanks, Dan! I'm planning on one RX. Thinking maybe end of the hatch, just inside the turtledeck for the antennas.... I guess. haha Joe