• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Gecko ZTW 85 W/SBEC 8A throttle weirdness/shutdown

HellBentPuppet

New to GSN!
Hey guys just curious if anyone else has experienced the following:

First off I run several Gecko ESCs and like em alot.

Has anyone else had these problems??? Timing auto, throttle start up 20% to 30% are the settings, throttle epa at 100% both ways. TX Aurora 9x. All bullets/connections are good to go. MOtors omega 130 and a turnigy4258-650 Cheap but fun

After a flight I taxi back to the pits and close throttle, then with no input the throttle blips and spools up for a split second. Does it both with an 85 and a 65 :confused:

The next one is after a FT up line roll or hammer over and feed in throttle to start a downline no throttle response. Not every time, and some times I can slam throttle "closed" and rearm it but it has caused me to have to do some creative landings.

So anyone else know how am I screwing this up :eek:

I searched and didn't find anything so any wisdom or ideas would be great!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:

Bloosee

70cc twin V2
I have that blip occasionally after hitting throttle hold following a flight. I noticed it on my 85A and my 150A geckos. It's really odd. I haven't experienced the "no throttle response" problem, at least I don't think so. Give Altitude Hobbies a call, they are in direct contact with the Chinese factory.

3dRCparts.com

70cc twin V2
I've seen the blip occasionally, but find that the gecko's benefit greatly from running and idle up, especially with low end throttle response.

HellBentPuppet

New to GSN!
I have that blip occasionally after hitting throttle hold following a flight. I noticed it on my 85A and my 150A geckos. It's really odd. I haven't experienced the "no throttle response" problem, at least I don't think so. Give Altitude Hobbies a call, they are in direct contact with the Chinese factory.

I'll give em a call, the throttle blip is no biggy but loosing power is kind off disturbing. Does keep y on your toes!

I've seen the blip occasionally, but find that the gecko's benefit greatly from running and idle up, especially with low end throttle response.

So idle up as in what you would use for helis?

gyro

GSN Contributor
No, on a heli idle up takes it to 85-100% power.

On a plane, it takes an electric from stick stopped to just enough power to keep the prop moving. This way no matter what, the motor never has to get the prop spinning from a stop, and this keeps the timing better and improves response.

I do this on all electrics regardless of brand.

HellBentPuppet

New to GSN!

On a plane, it takes an electric from stick stopped to just enough power to keep the prop moving. This way no matter what, the motor never has to get the prop spinning from a stop, and this keeps the timing better and improves response.

Makes sense!

I'll give that a shot on my 60" edge :popcorn:

Thanks for the tip!

We are pretty isolated up here as far as RC goes, I'll pass that on to my little group :cool:

AKfreak

150cc

Oh I see, it's a fast idle on a switch. I have been doing that in a different way. I use three clicks if throttle trim to keep my prop spinning. I have heard the term idle up, and always associated to heli's. A while back a gasser guy at the field explained to me how he sets a fast idle for down lines with three clicks in the throttle trim so the motor pulls fuel at all times to avoid a dead stick.

I used his tip for my electrics, spooling up a 21x10 from a dead stop has to cause voltage spikes, not to mention it isn't instant on.

Thanks for the explanation of what throttle up is.