• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Glasses for RC

njswede

150cc
I'm slightly nearsighted (-1.50) and normally wear glasses. On top of that, I also have some astigmatism. When I fly I wear contacts under my non-prescription polarizing sunglasses. The problem is my contacts don't correct for my astigmatism, so at at a specific angle (when the plane comes in from the left), I see two planes or a very distorted plane.

I'm thinking of going to the optician and get myself fitted for a pair of RC-flying prescription sunglasses.

What are the dos and dont's for this? Any pointers and hints? Polarizing or not? "Transition"/adaptive tinted glass or not? What do you use?

gyro

GSN Contributor
Personally, I fly with Oakley polarized sunglasses, and I found the gold iridium tint to be my favorite for clarity.
I mention this because I know Oakley makes prescription lenses, however I've never used them myself.
I've been wearing Oakley glasses for years, and have always been very happy.
Hope this helps.

Murocflyer

70cc twin V2
I'm an Oakley fan as well. Love them actually. Their visual quality cannot be touched by anyone. (that's a little bit of hyperbole :))

I have heard mention on TheCrashCast that Zurich brand sunglasses are THE glasses to have since a lot of times we have to look into the sun to follow our planes around. Here is a link for you. I just did a search for them since I was curious about them and you post reminded me to look them up. http://extremeglaresunglasses.com/

Frank

RCAddict16

70cc twin V2
Yeah I have heard good things about those extreme glare sunglasses. There was an article in model aviation a while ago about them.

bought a pair of extreme glare glasses and wont fly with anything else. In fact i need to buy some rose tinted glasses for overcast days. I dont have a prescription so not sure how they do in that area but i wouldnt hesitate on them.

gyro

GSN Contributor
shawdow, love the avatar! I've never heard of these extreme glare shades before?

SnowDog

I'm slightly nearsighted (-1.50) and normally wear glasses. On top of that, I also have some astigmatism. When I fly I wear contacts under my non-prescription polarizing sunglasses. The problem is my contacts don't correct for my astigmatism, so at at a specific angle (when the plane comes in from the left), I see two planes or a very distorted plane.

I'm thinking of going to the optician and get myself fitted for a pair of RC-flying prescription sunglasses.

What are the dos and dont's for this? Any pointers and hints? Polarizing or not? "Transition"/adaptive tinted glass or not? What do you use?

I wear glasses at all time; last year I purchased a new pair of prescription sunglasses and when I did so I asked the optometrist to tailor them to flying (R/C) and driving, since that is my primary use for them. They were happy to oblige.
These are non-transition lenses. Don't remember if they are polarized or not, but they do a great job and I won't fly without them.
And they were not ridiculously expensive...so I can spend more money on planes and less money on eyewear. :)

When I needed glasses to read I didn't like to put them on and off all the time so i got regular glasses. But I was going to have to pay for clear glass. I asked about correcting my distance to 20/10 and was told OK. What a difference when flying a plane. when i wanted sunglasses I got the dark yellow. During cloudy days it makes the sky brighter and is easier on the eyes even in bright sun light. Dennis

Jwmav528

70cc twin V2
I fly with HD vision aviator glasses. They're cheap they help in the sun and they really make the colors of the model stand out well.