• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Help me get excited about the hobby again!

SlowpokeMoses

New to GSN!
So, I haven't flown in over 5 years. I was in hot and heavy for 13 years prior to that. I got into nearly every aspect of flying over the years from foamies to giant scale. But I guess I just kind of got burnt out and I ended up selling most of my stuff. Now with two kids, a girl of 6, and boy of 2. I'm thinking about coming back.

My drive for this comes from my son who is nuts about airplanes already. I'd really like to get back into it so we can fly together. However I'm afraid the burn out won't get cured for a while as he is still young.

Anyone ever face this? Should I start flying now so he can watch and help? Or wait until he is a little older so he can fly too.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
The sheer number of BNF and good quality inexpensive foam planes on the market in the past 5 years has exploded. You can buy very reasonably priced stuff for everything from scale, 3D, float flying, gliders, warbirds, etc. So just to get back into it and play around does not cost much at all these days.

ryan_m

100cc
my advice? Wait until your son is 4-5 and came come out with you to the field and then get him into it too...
I'm in about the same boat. Been hot and heavy with it for about 13 years now. Then we had kids, I have a 6 year old girl, and a 3 year old son. And I find it very hard to find time to go out to the field. Feel guilty about it even, and miss spending time with them often. So I find that I only go to the field one day a week for 3-4 hours, and the rest of the time I spend with them. I used to go out both days, every holiday, and stay for 5-6 hours or more. Went to 3-4 fly ins a year mostly all out of state from me, or at least 3 hours away. Now I try to make one event, and almost didn't do that this year. But I'm going to Kennett, MO this weekend for the 3dbash up there and feeling guilty for leaving the family behind...

So I'm eagerly waiting and hoping that in the next couple years my son will want to start coming out with me and we can enjoy the hobby together.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Buy a foamy to get your feet wet, then progress up. You will have to change up what you fly to make it more interesting. I got into giant scales about a year ago and am having more fun now than I ever have, and my skills have improved way far above and beyond what they were when I burnt out a few years back.

Try sloping, try DLG's, try indoor, mix it up to keep things interesting.

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Foamy's are a blast as mentioned and will get you tuned back up for sure but do some research and attend some of the bigger fly ins to get exposed to some new stuff you may not be aware of and just absorb all that positive energy and you will get excited again for sure. You not alone either as many have sabbaticals from RC

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Suggestion? Dabble a little at a time. Slow but steady. Give yourself some reward for all the hard work you put forth for your family. Everyone needs something just for them. As your son grows, he will see your excitement and enthusiasm and will find the same love as you. If it's in the blood, it will surface. I myself walked away clean in about 2000. Raised my two daughters and son alone. In 2010 I came back with a vengeance. And have not slowed down since. My son followed every step I made and now is my best friend and most trusted co-pilot. We have a superb relationship and our planes and our love for this hobby gives us a common ground of enjoyment.

The future is our children. Yet if we do not allow something for us in the present, we really don't have anything to pass on to them.

My daughters don't share the same attachment to this hobby as my son and I. However they do find time and make it a point to be a part of what Dad does.

In every thing we do in life, we leave a little something behind. Give yourself some free time for some happiness. Without regret or feeling guilty. We only live once.

mndless

Don't know a thing..
Find a passion... what part of the hobby captivates your interest? Aerobatics? Scale? FPV? find it!! Hard to get excited about flying circles and burning fuel for no reason... find the passion and your son will pick up on your interest, your passion... he will get hooked because you are..

-Rick-

100cc
And if you like to build pick up a simple kit work slowly on it, when it is ready go up you will feel a whole new pride in seeing it fly and that will get you going again. After you get lit up for the hobby your son will what to see why daddy has so much fun with it.

You will have to find that motivation for yourself. Look at all the facets that the hobby has to offer, and then choose one.

I'm getting burnt out on 3D flying. So, I have a 94" TDRC model of the FW 190 for this winters project. I also fly electric dusted fans, float planes and 700 sized electric helis. So, you can say that I have my finger in a little bit of everything. Could there be a turbine in my future with TDRC....... Could be.....

Decal Dennis

TEAM EP&G
I feel ya....I'm at the point where I'm pretty burnt, but prior commitments won't let me quit.

I have found myself going backwards...I started out on small electric foamies and worked my way up to giant gassers, now I find myself going back to the electric foamies more and more. They are so easy to maintain and fly and with today's technology they are almost just as good and just as powerful as the gassers.

If I were you, I would start dabbling in the foamies (I recommend anything from Twisted Hobbys) to see if your ready again and get a flight sim (I recommend Realflight 7+) for your kids. Your kids can play and learn on the sim and it won't break the bank, then they will see you flying your foamies and it may peak their interest even more.

Last edited: